Our Family

Our Family

June 10, 2010

Second Mom



This week while Devin has been out of town, I jokingly told Clara she was a second mom because she often helps "guide" her younger brother.

At times this is helpful, and other times...well....

But then today she amazed me.

We were in a 2 hour meeting after school with about 10 professionals, myself and my children. I was quite nervous about this meeting. It would set the stage for what needed to be done to get Jonas ready for school - or rather the school ready for Jonas. He starts nursery school in September but as you know, there is a lot to keep in mind when sending him off. I knew there was a fine balance between getting his needs met yet not going in ready for a fight. Turns out, the school was amazing and the meeting went as well as I could have imagined.

Clara came to the classroom we were in after school and the meeting was already underway. She busied herself playing with Jonas and the toys in the nursery room. About an hour into it, she asked me if she could change from her PE "kit" to her regular clothes. I walked her to the bathroom and showed her where she could change.

As she was getting dressed she whispered to me "Mom, make sure you tell them about how Jonas gets wheezy and that he really needs his breathing treatments".

That topic had been covered before she arrived but I was amazed that she had been listening to the entire meeting from the play area and was concerned that this important aspect of his care hadn't been discussed.

It honestly brings me to tears. She is an amazing sister and clearly loves her brother so much. I told those at the meeting what she had said and they all agreed that if anything goes wrong when Jonas is in school, getting Clara to help out will be one of the first things they do.

To be honest, she is pretty close to perfectly capable. Jonas has an amazing second mom.


10 comments:

  1. That is the sweetest thing. Bless her little heart. I *love* that picture. Isn't it funny how the simplest pictures are the ones that warm our hearts the most?

    ReplyDelete
  2. this made me tear up melinda. what a sweetheart. glad the meeting went well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously brought tears to my eyes....glad everything went well! LOVE the last picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This brought tears to my eyes as well! Sounds like Jonas has the perfect big sister! What a lucky little boy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really cool... I know I'm preaching to the choir but your children are sweet. I'm glad things went well... that is sunshine through the clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great big sister! Great to hear good news about Jonas! The picture is too cute, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your comment on Katie's blog post. It is so nice to meet you. Your children are darling and your pictures are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely LOVE the new background, Melinda! And, this is absolutely horrible, but I didn't realize you were going to be gone as long as you are. I thought it was a 6 month gig. Anyway, I love how natural the bond is between siblings. They really look out for each other and get upset or concerned when one or the other is having trouble of any kind. Or, it could be as simple as giggling out of control because one or the other is happy! Our children definitely share an amazing bond! I also agree that it's pretty amazing how the first daughter takes on characteristics and roles of the Mother.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am mega in love with the new blog look...so in love

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet girl! She will always take such good care of him. I enjoy all your pictures. You are always checking out something!! How is the best way to get in touch with you guys. Dave tried an email awhile ago and never heard back!!

    ReplyDelete