Our Family

Our Family

July 25, 2010

Farewell Year 1/Kindergarten

Last Friday marked the last day of school for Clara. What began as a calm beginning to kindergarten turned into quite the transitional year. Clara finished up as a Year 1 and in essence skipped a grade half way through the year due to our move.

Here she is her first day of Kindergarten back in Maryland almost a year ago.


And here she is on her last day of school in the UK.


It was a rocky transition and full of personal questioning and stress for me, but she did it SUPER successfully! It was hard on her at times too but she kept going and has completely caught up to her classmates in such a short amount of time.

I am glad that is all behind us now and we can finally start enjoying summer break. The benefit of year round school is that you get multiple holidays throughout the year but the drawback is that you have to wait until the end of July to truly start enjoying summer!!! I couldn't be happier summer is here. I look forward to no morning rush, not waking Jonas up from his nap to "collect" Clara from school and mostly fun days with my kids.

As I said, Clara learned so much - both academically and culturally. She has learned many new vocabulary words. The latest being minibeasts in place of bugs. She also learned so much about the World Cup. She did a whole unit on it and was given Brazil to represent in class. Another unique experience. She also enjoyed sewing and gardening in school. I know she had fun, made good friends and is looking forward to being a Year 2...although she is very happy to be out of school for a while!!

3 comments:

  1. That Clara is so darn cute! Love the minibeasts :). I'm going to start calling them that from now on...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clara is getting so big. I can't believe it! We miss you guys. We hope to come out next year some time! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So darling that girl is... I love her uniform... Melanie showed me some that she got there and they were gingham dresses... I like it... of course my boys wouldn't look so darn cute in a gingham dress.. anyway enjoy your vacation... can't wait to hear your adventures and be totally jealous

    ReplyDelete