Our Family

Our Family

December 24, 2010

What we've been up to...

The past two months have FLOWN by, but I wanted to put up some pictures for my own record of what we have been busy with.

To be honest, we've mostly been dealing with one sickness after the other. Clara & Jonas have taken turns passing something back and forth and then moving on to the new latest bug for weeks now. Should I be grateful that they haven't really been sick at the same time? Or should I wish they had been so we didn't drag this whole thing out for part of November and the entire month of December? I am not sure but in any case, I am ready for some healthy children!!! As I am sure they are too.

Prior to the plague on our house, we had a lovely November.

It began with the arrival of a new Amtryke bike for Jonas. It is hand peddled and we are so excited to have one for him. He loves bikes and this company makes it possible for him to have one. He loved helping Devin put it together.


And then he loved his first try out on the Stray. He needs some more practice which should come once it is a bit warmer outside.


Next came Guy Fox Day. We had some friends over for soup before heading out to the huge bonfire and fireworks near our house. It was a first for us and felt really exciting as it seemed like the entire town was there. The best part was when Clara gave me the history run down. Here's how the conversation went:

Clara: Mom, did you know that it is 'Boy' Fox Day?

Me: Yes, what do you know about it? (Deciding against correcting "Boy" Fox Day because I found it so cute)

Clara: Well, it is about a guy who tried to kill the king a long long time ago.

Me: Oh, really? What happened?

Clara: Well, he put killing powder under the king's chair but it went off when the king was somewhere else. Then the guards caught him and put him in jail.

Me: Oh wow!

Clara: Do you know what torture is?

Me: Ummm....(not sure where this is headed or what exactly she was being taught at school)

Clara: It is when you do something to someone that makes it really bad for that person. Like making them stand in the cold without a jacket or not letting them have food but eating in front of them, or making them stand up for a long time. That is what they did to Guy Fox.

Me: Hmmm..that doesn't sound like much fun.

Clara: Then they killed him and burned him which is why on the Stray tonight it will look like there is a person on top of the fire.

Me: Alright. Thanks for telling me. (Mostly I love the schools here, but I am just not so sure about this story or tradition)...


Clara and Jonas also had some fun times together. They enjoyed pretending to paint each others faces one day.


Then there was the day when Emeline (Clara's friend) was coming over and Jonas was soooo excited. He insisted on sitting next to the front door and waited for an entire 20 minutes for her to come. He wouldn't budge. I seriously think he has a crush!!! This hasn't been the first time he has done this when Emeline comes to play...oh boy!


BUT, the very best part of the month was when the Hendricks came for Thanksgiving. We couldn't wait to have them visit and we had such a wonderful time.

Thanksgiving day was delicious even though it felt very strange to have my children go to school for the day - apparently they don't celebrate Thanksgiving here in the UK. :) I was able to find a local butcher where I got a really delicious fresh turkey. That was a fun experience except for when I had to hold in my gag reflex while walking into the butcher's shop to pay for the turkey. That was incredibly challenging!!

Before...

After...

Along with the traditional pumpkin pie, we ordered our favorite Banoffee Pie from a local tea house. Here is a pic of Devin walking in from outside carrying the much anticipated dessert...yum!


Here is one of my favorite moments from the visit, they were all in dress up. The girls in princess costumes and Jonas? A witch...terrorizing the pretty princesses while Clara tried to help Cinderella escape. It was hilarious to watch and made me realize that we need some more "masculine" dress up clothes.


We also experienced the first snowfall of the year.


Aside from having fun in the snow, Clara & Devin made the perfect snowman.


Tea parties were had...


Train rides with Santa (in the freezing cold) were enjoyed...


And here is Clara awaiting Santa's visit to our cabin area. Afterwards she told me that it wasn't the real Santa because she could see the elastic holding his beard on. Clever girl...


And best of all afternoon snacks were shared...(complete with some bling for Jonas)


It was sad to say goodbye to our friends. One afternoon it was very quiet and I found Jonas sitting here reading after lunch. I guess burying himself in books was one way to deal with the absence of his good friend, Fiona.


A week ago, Devin and I were able to spend our 11th wedding anniversary attending the school nativity program. Clara's class was the choir and Jonas was a soldier.


(Even after watching the production, I can't exactly tell you what part of the nativity the soldiers played...but it was sure fun to watch)


Last but not least, we spent this week getting ready for Christmas. Sugar cookie decorating was the biggest hit.



Actually, I take that back - sugar cookie eating has been the biggest hit.

Now that Devin is done assembling all of the Christmas presents for the morning, I'll wrap it up (hehehe)...Merry Christmas from the Osterhouts!

1 comment:

  1. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!
    I love love that Jonas has thinks you have a beard....and Clara is so pretty, we wish you the best, cold Christmas ever. mayka

    ReplyDelete