Our Family

Our Family

February 3, 2015

Introducing: Freya Agnes Osterhout

 

Just over a week ago - Sunday, January 25th - I went about the day as usual.  We had a lazy morning, went to church and came home to a delicious new recipe I had tried. The day was pretty perfect other than being hugely pregnant. :) After getting our kids in bed, Devin and I sat down to enjoy Downton Abbey together.

I had an appointment scheduled for the next afternoon with my OB, Dr. Froerer.  I was curious what he would say.  I hadn't had much in way of contractions and I would be one day from my due date.  I did not want to be induced and having had a previous C-section was really hoping to avoid another one of those.

Around midnight, before even falling asleep, I began to have fairly regular contractions.  I began to panic because I was planning to do multiple loads of laundry the next day and I needed some clean clothes before heading to the hospital - if this was really labor...which I was still unsure of.  Rather than try to sleep through the contractions, which I couldn't seem to do, I sneaked into each child's room to retrieve their laundry basket and proceeded to sort it all and start the first batch.  I then stood in a hot shower for as long as the water would allow.  By the time I was out my contractions were intensifying and I knew the baby was on his/her way.  Next I phoned my friend Mayka who answered excitedly right away and said she would be at my house asap.  She lives 30 minutes away and arrived around 3am.  I did a few more things around the house before we got in the car to head to the hospital.

It was 4:00am when we arrived and I was unfortunately only dilated to a 4.  I was hoping for a bit more.  I labored until my doctor came in at 7:30 but I was still only a 6.  He broke my water and that did intensify the experience.  I was hoping to do a completely unmedicated birth and thankfully the labor and delivery nurse showed Devin some counter-pressure things he could do to help me through a contraction.  It was difficult but I knew I would recover faster and feel better after if I could avoid an epidural.  Devin was so helpful and by close to 10am I was ready to push.  It was an amazing and euphoric experience as the final part of this delivery took place.  The baby's face was sideways which made for a more uncomfortable experience than I had with Nell, but still so wonderful!


The next thing I knew, at 10:03am, Devin was letting me know we had a baby girl.  I immediately knew I wanted to name her Freya.  It was a name I fell in love with while living in England although I seldom hear it here in the US.  It is pronounced "fray-ah" and is originally known as "Freja" a Nordic goddess of love and beauty.

This particular pregnancy was hard.  Labor and delivery were difficult.  But having my new baby placed immediately on my chest and feeling her body and spirit so connected to my own is a feeling I hope to never forget.  For me, it is by far one of the best experiences in this life.



I loved feeling her soft, wet skin against mine and happily agreed to put off weighing her for as long as possible.  I wanted to savor this feeling.  She nursed easily and then went to be weighed and measured.  She was 7 lb 3.3 oz and 20 inches long.  She has very long fingers, toes and feet.


Devin had patiently waited and finally got to have his own turn holding her.  It was at this point that we talked about her name and "officially" agreed on Freya.  We gave her a middle name of Agnes after Devin's grandma Agnes Roberts who he is named after.
 

We spent the rest of the day staring at and cuddling with Freya.
Here are a few pictures we took throughout her first day...






Because it is flu season, our children were not allowed to come visit.  I spent the remainder of Monday, January 26th holding and enjoying Freya.  Devin went home to get the kids ready for bed and came back with a Cafe Rio salad which we enjoyed together before trying to get to sleep.  Freya was up for a good portion of the night which was exhausting considering I hadn't slept at all the night before.  Between vitals for me, vitals for Freya, blood work at 4:30, etc. I was ready to go home the next day.  After talking with Dr. Froerer and the pediatrician, we all agreed we could be discharged Tuesday.  I was so excited to get Freya home and introduce her to her eager brother and sisters.  Nell especially talked non-stop about the new baby and I couldn't wait to see her reaction.

Bringing Freya home was amazing. Mayka had put together a pink party for the kids the day before.  She was making dinner and dessert and created such a happy environment to come home to.



Nell was the only one home so she was able to have Freya all to herself.  She also enjoyed learning about how the baby eats. :)



Here's a picture of Freya's door that Nell had excitedly decorated.


We were also able to enjoy a visit from Uncle Jeff.


Then Clara came home and had about 20 minutes alone with Freya before Jonas would be home.  Her smile says it all.



Jonas was so excited to get off the bus and come in.  Thankfully he didn't care if it was a brother or sister and was thrilled to meet her.


This week has been perfect.  Devin has been home from work and we have just enjoyed snuggling this brand new baby.  I want time to stop! As I look at Clara, I realize that time goes too quickly and I am happy if things could stay just this way for now.  I love my family and our crazy dynamic.  I know it would drive many people crazy - it often drives me and Devin crazy - but I love it.






Freya getting her first fireside bath
Freya is the perfect addition to our family.  I'm so grateful for her health which I do not take for granted! We are all in love with her and I couldn't be happier. 

4 comments:

  1. Our 4th is named Freya as well. Her middle name is Bronwyn since we loved Wales so much. That time in England sure was special for all of us. Best of luck with your new sweetie! Michelle Younce

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this to my kids and shed some tears, you write beautifully and I love both of her names!
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's perfect. What a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a new born all I see is little Nell in Freya's face but now not so much... crazy.. how much they grow and change in such a short period of time...

    ReplyDelete