Clara started Kindergarten this fall. She looked so cute in her uniform and new shoes. She was excited to have the same kind of shoes as her older cousin, Sefra, and can't wait to show her.
It began with the whole family walking her down to the bus stop.
She and Devin had quite the funny conversation on the way. First, a little background - Clara is very conscious of being buckled up thanks to the background of her uptight mother. The day before school she made sure to clarify that buses had seatbelts. When I told her no, I could tell she was nervous. To help her feel better I explained why buses are safe, due to 'compartmentalization' and that she did not need to worry. So back to our conversation, it went something like this...
Clara: "I can't wait to ride the school bus. Did you know that it is magic?"
Devin: "What do you mean, magic?"
Clara: "Well, we don't have to wear seatbelts, so it is magic. If it gets into an accident, we can't get hurt."
Great, I didn't mean to make her feel that secure!!!
Anyway, she met a little girl her same age at the bus stop and when the bus pulled up, she gave us each a kiss and hug and climbed onto the bus holding her new friend's hand. She didn't even look back. Honestly, I wouldn't have wanted her to be sad or cry - it would have been so much harder on me - but I thought she might look back and wave or something.
As we walked back up the street, we both cried (hopefully Devin doesn't mind...but this is what he gets for never helping me with our blog). Then we plopped down on the couch to talk it over. We were both in shock.
That first day of school was one of the longest days of my life. I kept looking at the clock, thinking..."isn't it over yet"?? Finally the bus pulled up at the end of the day and Clara didn't get off. I was panicked...my fear that somehow she didn't get on the right bus started to creep up. I pulled myself together and walked onto the bus and found her sitting happily. She just had no idea it was her stop.
I had fun that day making cookies that will hopefully be a first day of school tradition. Now I need to search for a Jonas-friendly version of a sugar cookie for next year.
She loved it and has been having a wonderful time since. Her teacher is amazing and I couldn't be happier with her. Every afternoon, Clara comes home, sits at the counter, finishes her lunch, works on her homework and talks my ear off while I make dinner. I love it so much!!! Clara makes me so happy and is always telling me funny things about her day. Here she is with her "All About Me" poster about a week into school.
What a sweet blog! Clara looks beautiful, I'm so glad she is loving Kindergarten!!
ReplyDeleteYou are seriously the best mommy ever!!!!!! Cute little bus cookies, and tears when she left. I was crying tears of Joy when Jordan went to school! Now im counting the days til they all are in. he he he he! So cute, she looks to big and grown up, I cant believe it...
ReplyDeleteI loved reading about Clara's first day. She really is one of the cutest girls around. It's sweet that both you AND Devin cried... what cute parents you are. :)
ReplyDelete