Our Family

Our Family

October 5, 2009

Our home away from home...




Okay, so the title is a gross exaggeration, but I am feeling dramatic. Jonas is back at Hopkins and in need of prayers. He has been vomiting lots for 12 days and is getting worse, not better.

Last night he was up all night throwing up and just can't keep anything down. It has been going on too long to be a typical virus - it could be his shunt. I've had him in to the pediatrician twice and contacted the neurosurgeon, both of which told me to wait it out...until today.

We had a previously scheduled appointment with the neurosurgeon today so I brought him in and he sent us to the ER. It was crazy there - thanks to some serious H1N1 fear. Anyway, many tests are being run which required a few too many blood draws. His veins are never easy for the nurses to find and being dehydrated made it that much harder, I honestly lost count how many times they tried. Finally they got what they needed and started the IV, and then a few hours later came back because they needed more. His white blood cell count is elevated so they are going to "tap his shunt" to get out fluid and see if it is infected. We'll see what they find. The neuro still thinks it is a virus, but I agree that it is high time to thoroughly check his shunt.

He was so good and brave, I am always amazed by his strength and example to me - especially in times of difficulty.


Well, I should be sleeping, but we are lucky enough to share a room with 3 other babies, one of which is not very pleased. So, I don't think I will be getting much rest tonight. :) I'll let you know how he is doing once we know more.


4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you have to be going through this! What a brave little guy Jonas is, though. Your family is in my prayers from now on. I hope you can get some sleep, too! Keep us updated on Jonas's situation, please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will be thinking of Jonas and the rest of your family. Let me know if there is anything we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is always in our prayers. I hope they are able to find out quickly what is going on. Please keep us informed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say "when it rains, it pours", but that wouldn't really capture how things have been. It's more like living in Seattle or London where it rains constantly. I'm sorry things have been so hard, and our thoughts and prayers are with you guys. Stay strong Jonas!

    ReplyDelete