It has been a little over a month since they visited and we are so happy that we were able to have them here. It was such a fun few weeks and went by way too quickly. With children starting school, we had to mix their visit with outings as well as time at home enjoying each other's company...but I don't think they minded too much. Especially because my dad quickly learned his way around town and would go on regular walks bringing back some delicious finds.
Our very first day was spent on the stray flying kites.


Steam trains have always been something my dad loves and so he found one that runs through the Yorkshire Dales. Little did I know the affect this activity would have on Jonas. He is STILL talking about the "choo choo" and asks daily to ride again. Looks like my dad has successfully converted one more little boy to train fascination! Thanks a lot!!!!
During our down time, Clara set up a tea party for Grandma and Jonas.
Apparently Clara took it one step further and began running her own restaurant. Let's just say that her imagination is very vivid and her story quickly turned into one where the cook quit and she was all alone to run the restaurant and do all the cooking and then to top it all off, she found rats in the kitchen. This was the point when I came in to see what the commotion was all about and found her running like this around the room screaming about the 50 rats in the kitchen. From the look on her face, I honestly wonder if she had actually started to believe her own story. Anyway, I still laugh every time I see this picture.
When tea parties were not taking place, you could place money on the fact that at least one grandparent was reading to at least one grandchild. I have no idea how many stories were read during their visit, but my children were loving it. Especially at bedtime when they could easily talk grandma and grandpa into multiple and l o n g stories.
Some other fun outings included Fountains Abbey,

York where we spent many many hours in the train museum (fun, fun),

as well as walking along the city wall,

and a day visiting James Herriot's residence and Riveaulx Abbey where Jonas really enjoyed the rocks more than anything.

James Herriot is the author of the "All Creatures Great and Small" series of books of which my parents are huge fans. We toured his home in Thirsk which is now a museum. It included a cow display where you could test your strength and see if you had what it took to deliver a calf. I found it quite disturbing but Jonas found it quite entertaining. Thought I'd share...
Our last big adventure was to Whitby. It is a beautiful oceanside town where we enjoyed the views,

a boatride, delicious fish and chips as well as this cute little shop whose name roped me into buying more than I normally would have!
Before we left for home, we spent some time on the beach where the kids enjoyed the waves and sand.

Clara always loves when grandma and grandpa come because she enjoys going into their room in the morning and snuggling in bed with them before convincing my mom to get up and make her breakfast. My mom is always willing to get up and make Clara whatever she requests. This was one of her favorites...a princess pancake.

One thing I really miss (and this will show how selfish - or lazy - I am) is how many dishes my parents washed. This was especially nice when our dishwasher broke and even Clara had fun helping out.

We are so thankful that they came to visit and we all loved it so much!! We miss them and are grateful that Clara & Jonas have such amazing grandparents!
Your mom and dad have the biggest smiles on their faces! I know they love being grandparents. : ) You guys sure know how to show those Yankees a good time! : )
ReplyDeleteYour parents are so cute with the kids. Looks like it was a fun time. I got a wicked evil witch cackle when I saw the picture of Jonas birthing a calf... can't wait to see pics of your last adventure---mayka
ReplyDeleteI loved this post! Your parents are so sweet and the pictures are so beautiful...love the picture of the shop named after Clara, very cool! Miss you guys!!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to see your parent's are still the same complete with your dad's blue hat. It brought back so many fun memories of your family. I'm happy they got to visit and that you got a well deserved break.
ReplyDeleteI miss your mom and dad so much! They look like they are in heaven with their grandkids around them! Fun fun fun!! I love the picture with Jonas and the cow. ha ha ha ha ha!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great visit! Who isn't a fan of trains, really?
ReplyDeleteThat sounds fun! Clara and Jonas look old, way old. That makes me a little sad, just a little though. Maybe it's time my kids stop praying for baby Jonas and just cut it back to Jonas.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the James Herriot books! I just picked the first one for our book club this month :)
ReplyDelete