We spent the morning at IKEA purchasing the necessary components (and then strapping them to the roof for a drive home in the rain) While Jonas napped in his crib (potentially the last good chunk of sleep of his childhood), Devin put together his bed. I spent that time trying to figure out how to organize and fit Clara & Jonas in the same room. I'm still trying to do that, in fact.
Jonas talked excitedly about his bed and when the time finally came to lay down, he did a great job. He spent a while talking to Clara who dutifully remained silent and after a while fell asleep. I thought Jonas was sleeping too until I heard some babbling coming from his room. His bedtime dialogues ranged from "choo choo choo" to "Ad-ta" (Clara) to "bed" amongst many other riveting topics. Needless to say that this went on for hours. It was after 10pm and he was going strong.
I know he'll get it eventually but I do think his nights of good long sleeping are over. He used to sleep in so well but I have a feeling that sharing with Clara will do away with this quality. Perfect - just in time for the baby! In any case, he sure looks cute in his bed (although it'll be even cuter when his bedding arrives, but I couldn't wait for that):
And when we got home from church today, he remembered about his bed right away and crawled quickly in to see it chanting "bed, bed, bed" the whole way. When he saw it he got a huge smile and excitedly said "same". Yep, it is the same as when you left it a few hours earlier.
We also had a fun Friday when both kids came home from school with notes that they had been to "first aid". Clara due to being elbowed in the nose causing a bloody nose and Jonas because he hit his head when he fell in his walker. They sure looked proud of their notices, almost as if they had made the honor roll or something.
On a different note, we've been part of some humorous conversations lately.
Here's one from Clara:
C: Mom, did you know that Emeline has actual toys from China?
M: What kind of toys (thinking maybe some family member brought back some cool souvenir)
C: She has lots, like her ponies. They have a sticker on the bottom that says China.
M: Oh really? You know, yours probably say the same thing...lots of toys are made in China.
Was it mean of me to make this discovery less exciting? Maybe I should have let her continue thinking that Emeline's toys are a novelty.
I've also encountered a few interesting conversations regarding my pregnancy. The first was with a nice volunteer who helps out at the riding facility where Jonas does his horse-riding therapy. It went like this:
Volunteer: You don't have long now, do you?
Me: Nope, I am due beginning of March so about a month now.
Volunteer: Well, that is good. What a nice time of year for a baby to be born. That way you don't have to go through the heat of the summer being pregnant.
Me: Speechless...
We are afterall living in the same country right??? The one called Great Britain? The one that didn't break 83 degrees all summer? And even then, there were only two days in the 80s...the rest were 60s and 70s. Made me smile!!! It is all about perspective, I guess.
Lastly, the man at the grocery store checking out my groceries had some choice comments:
Checker: When are you due?
Me: Beginning of March.
Checker: (Eyes wide) Wow!
Me: Yes, I know, I get quite large.
Checker: Yes, I thought you were due any day. Are you sure there is only one in there?
Me: Pretty sure!!
Checker then proceeds to tell me that his wife is 5 months along and barely showing but that his first wife was just like me. This only made things worse. I understand if he hasn't been around pregnant women much but clearly that is not the case. I just had to laugh. Just like I have to laugh when the mums at school like to tell me how "bonkers" or "mad" I am for having another one. Believe me - I know!!!
Oh my, always the comments!
ReplyDeleteI love Jonas' "same"! So cute!
I love this post! Jonas is growing up so fast and I'm grateful for your post so I can take a peek! What a smile in his bed!!
ReplyDeleteif only those where detention slips that would be awesome. Your not bonkers or mad, to each his own!!!
ReplyDeleteLove the comments!! I get a huge belly, too and actually had a customer where I used to work ask me if I was just overweight or if i was pregnant.
ReplyDelete