Our Family

Our Family

November 18, 2011

New Holidays

Since moving to England we have been introduced to some new holidays or events we never celebrated in the US. They have all taken place between Halloween and Thanksgiving so now seems like an appropriate time to document them.

First up? Guy Fawkes Day.


This is the first weekend in November. It celebrates the capturing (and killing) of Guy Fawkes who in 1605 plotted to kill the King. The kids had a bonfire lunch at school (minus the bonfire...pretty much a fun lunch) on Friday and on Saturday we had some friends over for dinner before walking with what seemed like the rest of Harrogate to the stray where we watched the bonfire get lit and burn the effigy of Guy Fawkes (which you can kind of see in the first picture). The fire was huge and followed up with a really impressive fireworks display. Jonas was carried in a backpack on Devin's back and I had Nell in a wrap on me. This proved a little problematic when Jonas decided he really didn't like the fireworks and started crying. It was too crowded for Devin to easily get Jonas out and I couldn't do much but tell him it was almost over. I said that for about 5 minutes. It was honestly the longest fireworks show I think I've ever seen. Other than trying to calm Jonas, it was really fun too.


Here I am doing my best to keep Nell warm.


Second? Remembrance Day.

I know we celebrate Veteran's Day in the US and Devin even gets the day off but it is so different here. It starts a few weeks ahead of November 11th with red poppies showing up everywhere. Men and women wear red paper poppies on their shirts or coats. Wreaths of red poppies are all around and I even see many cars with a red poppy on the front grill. It is talked about at school and I'm impressed with how well my children understand the importance of remembering what sacrifice those who served in WWI and subsequent wars did for us. It is cute to see all the kids at school running around with poppies on. They even have two minutes of silence at school at 11am that day.

Since Devin had the day off we decided to do some sightseeing and treat the day like a date. It is pathetic that we feel like we are on a date when we only have an 8 month old with us, but it does. After dropping the kids off at school we drove straight to York. I have not yet climbed to the top of the Minster and this was the day since we only had a baby to carry! First we wandered through the Shambles and a farmer's market. We bought marshmallow hot chocolates and a tomato and cheese roll. It was delicious!! On our way to the Minster we stopped in some cute shops and window shopped. We got to the Minster just before 11am. Now is when I should tell you that Nell had been an absolute angel all day. Not a cry or even sound had come from her at all. That was until 11am inside the York Minster when the priest stood up to conduct a brief service and introduce the 2 minutes of silence. Now would be another good time to mention how we did not have a pacifier with us. She only has about 10 of them and somehow they all managed to stay home or in the car. Perfect! There were literally no other children there so Devin and I scrambled to get her out of the carrier and I took her aside and tried to quite her. She didn't cooperate perfectly but we managed to make it through the longest 2 minutes. I felt hot and stressed after that. Devin commented on what a unique and cool experience it was standing with all of those people silently and hearing the giant Minster bell toll eleven times. I guess it is obvious that I was far more concerned with Nell than he was. I didn't manage to fully appreciate the experience like he did.

After the Minster experience we did some more shopping, ate lunch at a delicious Thai Restaurant, grabbed some dessert from the farmer's market and headed home to get the kids from school.

On our way home we noticed a sign for a war cemetery near the school that we had never realized was there. We took the kids straight over after school and spend a little time looking at the headstones and being humbled by how many were there even though it is a relatively small cemetery. Nearly all of the servicemen were Canadian and they were young, between 18 and 22. We spoke with a gentleman there who told us that there were many airforce bases in the area during WWII and these were mostly members of the Canadian Royal Air Force who were injured and died here in Harrogate.



Sunday finished up the Remembrance Day traditions with our Bishop reading a poem and another 2 minutes of silence. Nell did much better this time which is fine but there were many other children present so I'd rather she have switched it around to be honest.

Third...Pudsey Bear and Children in Need.

This comes around each November where the BBC launches a fundraising day for children in need. The mascot is this Pudsey Bear who wears a "spotty" scarf over his "poorly" eye. And yes, that is exactly how you'd say it if his eye were hurt...poorly eye. The children do some activities in school and instead of uniform can come in spotty clothes. The first year we were here I wasn't quite sure what that meant but now I know - polka dot. After school there is a cake stall where parents bring in fairy cakes (aka cupcakes) for the children to buy and raise money for the charity. It turns out polka dots aren't really something Jonas has much of so while commiserating on the phone with my friend Elizabeth about how our boys had nothing to wear, we came up with the idea of sewing on polka dot fabric to a white t shirt. I found the perfect use for this fabric, which I have no idea why I bought! She came over the day before and we whipped them out in no time. Here are my two cuties on spotty day.


Fourth? Well not really a holiday but school events.

Clara has been studying the Tudors this term and they had a Tudor day recently when they came dressed in period costume. I love how involved it is. I wish I had my camera when the teachers came out in the morning to collect the children, they were in the most amazing Tudor costumes. Anyway, Clara was Kathryn Howard this day and I thought she looked so cute!


As for Jonas, he was chosen to bring Ted home for the evening and he was thrilled! Here he is giving Ted a ride around the house on his skateboard.


Fifth and final? MOVEMBER

I have always disliked the word hate. I try to never use it and encourage the same in my children. I think it is a yucky word but I just can't think of any other way to describe my feelings on Movember...it is an equally yucky event.

For some unknown reason Devin's work team decided to take part this year. Movember began in Australia but is quite popular here in the UK as well. Beginning on November 1st you are supposed to start growing out a moustache that you grow until the end of the month. You are supposed to raise money for men's health awareness and there are even races to bring attention and raise money.

Devin told me he was participating and I gave him some threats none of which seemed to work. On November 2nd (he didn't shave that morning) I came home after a frustrating day. Jonas is having a tough time transitioning to school and it was a particularly bad school day for him. I got out of the car to find Devin already home and started telling him all about the day when I looked up at his face and saw the outlines of a disgusting moustache. I stopped mid sentence and couldn't go on. It was just too hard to take him seriously. Instead I think I called a friend to complain about my day since that was better than trying to have an honest conversation with Devin looking like that. To rub salt in my wound we also had a family activity I borrowed from my friend Courtney. Last year her family did a gratitude tree where they listed things they were grateful for on paper leaves and put them on branches during the month of November. As we went around our family naming these things it came to Devin and do you know what he said? Men's Health!!!!

The thing Devin is the proudest of is that he has an entire book of moustaches (thanks a lot T's) and he is growing one of his own invention. It has "wings" according to him...according to me he shaved based on his patchy spots.


I can't wait for December 1st!!!

That is about it around here until Thanksgiving next week when my kids go to school all day. :( We'll have our feast after they get out but it never quite feels the same. At least we have these other *mostly* fun events to make up for it.

5 comments:

  1. that is so funny. I love it... I can't wait to see Devins winged invention at the end of the month... as for me I lost a couple of pounds today when I shaved.. I know your throwing up..

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a great post- it's already been a busy month! The kids looked great on spotty day and I love Clara's tudor dress! I love the picture of Jonas and the teddy bear- he is so handsome! As for Devin...I'm thinking rough & tough outlaw cowboy. (No, Devin, if you're reading this- it's not a good thing!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melinda
    You make me laugh out loud. Thanks for brightening my day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am laughing so hard about Movember!! I'm sure Ryan would be all over that if we lived there...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to see a picture of Devin with his full grown mustache. I am already laughing, just picturing it. Make sure you post a picture!!

    ReplyDelete