Our Family

Our Family

August 22, 2012

Ireland

There have been three trips during the past year I am excited to blog about that I have neglected.  They have all been around the beautiful British Isles and as we left the UK this summer I am happy to have an excuse to look over these pictures once again.  I am going to post in reverse order...first our trip with the Webber family to Ireland, second our trip as a family fall 2011 to Wales and third our trip last summer to Scotland with the Braithwaite family!

For anyone who knows me, Ireland is a place I have dreamed of going for a very long time.  It also happens to be the place my birth mother, Wendy served a mission about 25 years ago.  For those reasons, it was amazing that we had the opportunity to visit Ireland together.
Wendy & Melinda, in Ireland, wearing green, July 2012!!

We were restricted on time as we were fitting this vacation in with school schedules and the time the Webbers had but we made the most of it.

There is only one approved way to travel with us...the party bus.  It is so much better/humiliating than driving two separate cars when traveling as a large group.  Plus we have a great time all being together.  My kids love it and since it seats 17 people, there is no need for anyone to ever touch one another.  


We started out bright and early to drive through northern Wales and catch a ferry from Holyhead to Dublin.  The ferry was boring but shortish.

Poor Jon was stuck with navigating the narrow streets of Dublin to park the party bus (the only real downfall of it).  We enjoyed our first day in Dublin and had really sunny weather. Unfortunately the worst part of my trip took place this day.  After eating lunch, we walked outside to see some street performers.  Clara had been completely attached to Claire and Charlotte.  She was always with one of them so I was not as diligent as I should have been.  After walking for a few blocks, Allyson noticed that Clara was not with Claire or Charlotte.  She stopped us all and then began my frantic run through the streets of Dublin.  I have never lost a child before - let alone in a huge city!  I was truly terrified.  I retraced my steps and after getting close to the restaurant and still no sign of Clara, I began to really panic.  That was when I spotted Clara standing with a young couple in front of the street performers.  After a quick look at my face and asking a few quick questions, they knew I was there for Clara.  We both cried and hugged each other and I vowed to be more careful the remainder of our trip.  Here are some of the safety measures we put into place...

Hand Holding


and physical contact at all times!


I did manage to enjoy parts of Dublin despite losing my daughter.  I enjoyed seeing the Book of Kells and Library at Trinity College.  Nell was not very respectful during our tour and preferred running around the grass to listening to the tour guide.






I also had to take a picture of Clara with Molly Malone.  She learned all about her at school and would sing the song about her always giggling at the part where "her ghost wheels her barrow through streets broad and narrow" for some reason.  Then there was this statue of Molly Malone in the middle of Dublin.  I must admit that the statue was much more "buxom" than the little girl I imagined in the song.  Thanks Claire for blocking the view a bit.


The second day we spent some time eating of course...

Then touring Dublinia, a pretty neat museum about the history of the Vikings and Dublin.  I learned a lot!

I thought Megan might enjoy this link between Ireland and Vikings and North America.


After our last morning in Ireland we headed south stopping at Powers Court on the way.  I am embarrassed to admit it since I've never really liked gift shops in the past but England and Ireland have some really amazing ones!  Powers Court might just top that list for me.  Wendy and I were trying to hurry although I'm not sure our families saw it that way. :)  They headed out in the pouring rain first and we followed a few minutes later.  It was so wet yet so magical.  The place was beautiful regardless of the weather and it was a really fun jaunt through the puddles.





Waterford was our stop for the night and we tried a sketchy looking kebab shop.  I was nervous but it turned out to be a fantastic meal! We couldn't leave Waterford without of course stopping at the factory.  I enjoyed the tour and again, the gift shop.  Except that I was terrified one of my family members would break something in this incredibly pricey "gift shop".


  Here are the glass blowers at work.


I also enjoyed taking pictures of doors throughout Irleand.  Then I noticed this man across the street who happened to be going the same pace as us.  That says something...






 It is entirely possible this is the reason we were going so slow...dance walking is what I'd call it.


By now the day was incredibly sunny and warm.  I knew it was rare and it provided a beautiful drive to Cork. 

Wendy spent 9 months of her mission here and was looking forward to seeing her friend Marguerite.  Together with Marguerite we went to Blarney Castle.  We loved exploring even if climbing the stairs holding Nell in my slippery ballet flats may not have been the most comforting feeling. 

I had no idea what to expect, but the blarney stone was not what I was thinking.  Still, I had to kiss it.



And then I gladly swapped germs with Devin who had kissed it just after me.


Apparently kissing is contagious and our kids were feeling left out, so we promptly spread those germs around the eager family.


We enjoyed walking around the grounds and especially the poisonous garden.  Apparently Jon had had enough driving the party bus around narrow streets!!! Don't do it!!!

 All he needed was some rest and relaxation.





Devin and I followed suit.

 After Blarney we drove into Cork and managed to find Wendy's old apartment.  It was really fun to see for the rest of us even though I can only imagine the complexity of emotions Wendy may have been feeling.


 On Sunday we were able to spend the morning at church.  Wendy had been there when they broke ground for the chapel so that was cool. 

We had a nice Sunday together and got ready for another early morning as we drove back to Dublin to catch a ferry to drive from Wales to Harrogate in time for the Webbers to catch a train to London and be there in the middle of the night so that they could catch their flights the next morning!  Phew!  It was a crazy day of travel - otherwise known as a little boys dream...a party bus, ferry, train, tube, bus and then plane all in 24 hours.

While stressful perhaps, I am glad we managed to fit it all in and I was so happy to have finally visited Ireland and to do so with Wendy and her family!  We are all pretty attached, Jonas insisted on sitting as close to Allyson as possible whenever possible.


We were so sad to say goodbye at the Harrogate train station but we knew it would only be for a short time this time! 

4 comments:

  1. Leif Rijensson and I loved the Viking "shout out!" I also now don't know which is funnier, Nell and the Naan or your new art installment of "Doors and Old Man With Striped Sweater." If I ever get to visit Ireland, I now vow to bring a purple umbrella. Gorgeous photos, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved those photos with that old man and the doors. I loved the doors in Ireland too. There are some fantastic doors here as well. I originally wanted to take a picture of 3 of my favorites and then blow them up and frame them, but now we can't take pictures of doors since someone might think we are spies. I should have done it our first year. Darn. Anyway, you could do that. It would be cute and fun and you have lots of different doors and I'm dying to find out where you're living and everything about your life. I'm not doing anything right now. . . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw reading your post made me really want to go back to England & Ireland.. we had so much fun! Especially on that party bus. :) Haha and I love that you got all those pictures of the old man walking past the doors in Ireland, good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK so cool... if I didn't know that Jen's g-pa was in the states I would think that old man was him... except wait wrong country. Though I think the craziest think for me was that you actually kiss the Blarney Stone, it's just so unexpectantly germmy of you but I'm glad you took one for the team... and them spread it to them..

    ReplyDelete