Our Family

Our Family

August 15, 2012

Out with a bang!

It was meticulously planned, thought out and organized for almost a year.  With only a few days left before packing up our house and moving back to the US, the Webbers came for what would be a wonderful and fun visit.  Not to mention they were our final visitors!

For anyone who doesn't know, I was adopted as a baby and raised by my parents in northern California.  Almost 10 years ago, together with my parents and husband I met my birth mother, Wendy and her family.  They are amazing and we have developed a happy and close relationship.  I love Wendy, her husband Jon and all 5 of her kids.  They are open hearted, warm and welcoming.  While I will never seek to replace the family I was raised by - they are my family - it brings me happiness and peace having been reunited with Wendy.

Now that the background on Wendy has been given it is easy to see why I have been so excited to host her and her family.  We had not seen each other since before our move to England.

They first flew into London and spent a few days there.  Wanting to spend a day with them in London, we train down and back in one day and really enjoyed sightseeing together.

Brilliantly, we forgot to charge our mobile and so could not contact Wendy to coordinate exactly where to meet.  The plan was to watch the changing of the guard beginning from St. James Palace.  Due to the Olympics, the exact street was barricaded.  I frantically ran around the palace a time or two searching for them to no avail.  Jonas, Clara, Nell and Devin were able to see the guard.  From here, we wandered through the crowds searching for the Webbers closer to Buckingham Palace.  After a few minutes, I spotted a cute tall blonde boy!  And then another one!  I yelled to Matthew and Tommy who thankfully heard me from across the street.  It was a bit stressful and not the way I imagined seeing them for the first time but at least we found each other in time for our timed tickets to Buckingham Palace.

Photographs were not allowed inside but we could take them in the gardens.  Buckingham Palace was beautiful and very impressive even if I had to go quickly through it to keep Nell from running under the red rope divider.

From here we wandered the streets of Portobello Road.  Crepes, Paella, Fresh Fruit and Gelato completed a delicious - albeit messy - lunch.   I believe the ground surrounding the chocolate crepes is permanently stained.


We then hurried to Kings Cross, took the train back to Harrogate and prepared for Clara's baptism the following day.

There were three days we would have to explore the Harrogate area before taking a ferry to Ireland.  We filled these days with as many sights and things to eat as possible.

York was the main attraction the first day.

There was the expected York Minster stop.  It always impresses me.



There was the delicious lunch at Nandos complete with spicy peas.




There was the walk on the wall, complete with beautiful views.



 

There was essential shopping at quintessential British stores like Cath Kidston and White Stuff.


Coupled with the joy of shopping is the joy of waiting for the less fortunate.  They made the most in the rain.  Jonas apparently whistled his time away.




What was less expected was the crazy squirrel.

There was this squirrel who was running around the grounds of the York Museum and suddenly turned on Tommy and seemed to want to attack him.  Keep in mind, Tommy is about 6'4".  Still, the reaction from Tommy to this crazed animal elicited laughter from all of us.  I laughed so hard I cried and I don't think I was alone.



Nell on the other hand was not the least bit nervous!

The other less expected aspect of the day was the black cat tour led by Tommy, Matthew, Claire and Charlotte.  Apparently these are sitting all over York and I had no idea.  We found as many as we could  along our way.  Kind of funny and quirky.




Lastly, we ate dinner at one of our favorite Indian restaurants.  When they brought out the "family sized" naan bread, this is what Nell decided to do.  It made us laugh almost as much as when Tommy was attacked by the squirrel.


The second day we rented the party bus, a 17 seater mini bus that could fit us all.  We successfully made most of the Webbers car sick as we drove a scenic route through the Dales on the way to Fountains Abbey.  This has to be the best place for pictures, the setting is amazing and the combination of moss and stone is perfect!




 However, while taking some pictures of the Webber family, Nell decided to be difficult (more on that to come).  While trying to deal with her and set multiple cameras down I almost stepped on this frog.  I screamed from surprise.  After the squirrel I was a bit nervous of "wild animals".


As for Nell...here's how the day went with her.  If not wandering off on her own, she was throwing tantrums.  Since pictures speak louder than words - even her words, here they are in no particular order...
 Thank goodness Jonas was in a better mood - and more patient as noted in this picture.



 That evening we enjoyed a pub dinner, introduced Sticky Toffee Pudding to the Webbers and then home.  It was a huge success.


The last day was Harrogate day.  Everyone slept in getting some much needed rest and then we went to Betty's for brunch.  Afterwards the girls went shopping while the boys and Nell went to Knaresborough.  We met up with our collection of bags and Bettys treats in Valley Gardens.

Apparently the 3 C's were thirsty after a long walk and day of shopping/school for Clara.


Then time for play!


 We enjoyed a burrito dinner that evening after taking pictures of the Webbers in our garden.  Then it was time to pack because we would be getting up very early the next morning to travel to Ireland!!

More on Ireland to come.

5 comments:

  1. Those "wildlife" pictures are hilarious. (I'm including Nell/Naan in with that category). You guys are awesome hosts. Looks like such a fun visit to end your time in the UK with. I'm glad I got to enjoy that sticky toffee pudding with less calories by salivating over that picture. You need to figure out how to make that at home (if you haven't already).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize you were heading back to the states so soon. Looks like fun times here in the UK. Good luck with all the moving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This all looks so fun. I'm glad you got to have that experience with the Webbers AND I've been anxiously waiting for your Ireland trip, to compare it to my own of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I echo Holly I can't wait to see and hear of your trip to see your peoples!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was all so wonderful - being in England.. London and Harrogate, all the ruins, Portobello road market, the food (crepes & Indian & Nando's & your cooking!), Cath Kidston, everything! :) I'm so glad we all got to be in the UK together!

    ReplyDelete