Our Family

Our Family

March 23, 2013

Surprises

In the past week, each of my children has surprised me with something.  And each time I have laugh pretty hard, so I thought I'd share.

First up?  Jonas.

When I go into his room each morning, I am never sure of what I am going to find.  One recent morning, I found him without any pajamas on and his bed lined with books.


That was unusual, but typically find him with his blanket shoved under his shirt claiming he has a baby in his tummy.  And occasionally there is a boomerang or some other toy there...you know, the usual.


Well, this past week I went in and he was proudly sitting on the floor playing with trains...but this time his blanket was not the only thing missing.  His stuffed dog and stuffed shark were AWOL.  He pointed to his pants which were HUGE.  Yes, all three were shoved down his pajama pants.  I couldn't stop laughing for quite a while!


Next?  Nell.

One day I had a number of errands to run.  It was Nell's nap time but what was I to do?  Well, bring a handful of lollypops (pop-pop according to Nell) naturally.  Nell was fussy on the drive so, earlier than expected, I pulled out a pop-pop. She fell asleep quickly.  I put her in the stroller and ran the first errand.  One hour later she was back in the car, still asleep.  We drove to our second stop.  By now she woke up.  As she was running around the store with me, I noticed this:


How did I not notice this earlier???  Yes, she fell asleep with her hands behind her head and apparently had not finished the pop-pop like I assumed.  It was completely stuck in her hair!  Soon enough she noticed it and kept saying "pop-pop" and pointing to her head.  After an initial attempt to retrieve her pop-pop, she conceded to leave it there.  Unfortunately it was hours before we made it into the bath but she didn't seem to mind and at least I (and everyone that saw her) had a good laugh every time I looked at her.

Lastly?  Clara.

Tonight at dinner she very calmly and in a very matter-of-fact tone said to me "Mom, you how we're not one of the cool families?  I don't get what the kids are talking about at school when they are talking about different songs." I suppose that was her cautious way of requesting her parents stop listening to NPR in the car and try harder to help her fit in to 3rd grade.  Suitably timed, days before driving to St. George. Although I still don't think we can handle Taylor Swift or whatever else is popular these days......

No, in all seriousness I felt badly that we are so obviously uncool to poor Clara.  If anyone has any tips for us, we are open to suggestions on how to be one of the "cool families".  I have a horrible feeling it's a lost cause.  The poor darling.

Look at her though, if she was from a cool family, would she have pictures like this to look back on and laugh at?  Probably not!

Clara's own creation on Devin's phone.
I love her, she is always making us laugh!!
Exploring the empty lot near us with her bow and arrow, practicing for her Hunger Games audition.  







2 comments:

  1. Fun stories. I laughed at Nell and Jonas. Those were great pictures. Sorry you can't be cool. I would give you some pointers, but I know for sure we are about as far away from cool as you can get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmmm...hang out more with us. We're not cool, but we are company. :)

    ReplyDelete