Our Family

Our Family

September 1, 2013

Farewell Summer...

It has been an entire year since we moved from England to Utah.  I still miss Harrogate so much and constantly think of what I would do if I could transport myself there for a day.  BUT, that aside, we are loving our time in Utah and this summer was wonderful.
I have enjoyed every single sunny day in preparation for a long and cold winter ahead!  It has also been a very busy summer with a lot of fun company, family reunions and days out.  As a result, my blogging has taken a back seat.  Here's to capturing an entire summer's worth of fun in one (very long) post...

1. We enjoyed our first real Osterhout family reunion in Ashton, Idaho.  It was nice to have everyone together for a weekend.

Jonas enjoying a cuddle with his Grandma Osterhout.

We attempted to put together a family picture.  Maybe not a completely professional job, but it captures the entire family.
Entire Osterhout Family

Osterhout grandchildren plus one great granddaughter!
Devin, his parents and siblings!
After the big group pictures, individual families had some taken.  This was our attempt.  Nell is throwing a fit with three of us trying to coax her into smiling.  All the while, Jonas sits still with his "cheese" smile ready for the camera.  This makes me laugh!


We spent a day in Yellowstone.  Jonas was most excited to see the "Bluff-lo".





Nell and Clara waiting for Old Faithful.


We spent a relaxing Sunday together and explored Mesa Falls.  Uncle Jeff kindly carried Jonas like an airplane.
 


2. We spent a long weekend in Bear Lake for my dad's Morris family reunion.  I really enjoyed spending time with Aunt Judy and Uncle Blaine.  It has been about 14 years since I've been, but not much had changed.  Especially my dad who is rocking the combined pilot/boatman outfit...

  

Look closely, can you see the people in the distance near the boats?  They are standing in the water at about waist deep.  And there is my dad in the rubber boat with a life jacket on in ankle deep water. :)  I would feel worse about making fun of my own father if he didn't tease as badly as he does.  



Enjoying the swimming pool and tennis court with Grandma.
 


 

No trip to Bear Lake could be complete without multiple stops at La Beaus for fresh raspberry shakes.  YUM!

 


After Bear Lake, with my parents still in town, I enjoyed taking my dad and children up to Snowbird and riding the tram to the top of the mountain.  Living in such a beautiful area makes me happy.



3. Fourth of July

We had my parents in town for the 4th.  We drove to Park City for the parade where we ran into Devin's brother Jeff and his family.  It was really fun to hang out with them in the morning before heading off to Midway for some lunch and a BBQ at our house that evening.  It was our first 4th of July in the US in a few years and felt so American. :)  It was the first time in 3 years our kids weren't in school for the holiday.


Clara holding her baby cousin Asher.


4. Burley friends reunion

Devin has 3 friends from childhood that he is still very close with.  We were lucky enough to all be able to meet up for a weekend up Big Cottonwood Canyon.  It was such a wonderful weekend and so fun to see all the children playing and getting along so well.  It is always amusing to sit and listen to their stories.  I'm telling you, listening to the 4 of them talk makes me wonder how they all lived through their teenage years, they were CRAZY!  But it does make for hilarious story telling.

Devin, Ryan, Barrett and Dave


All the children after the walk around Silver Lake.




These four girls are about the same age and had so much fun together!
 We spent a fun day in Park City. 

Jonas and I ready to head down the Apline Slide with one of my best friends Angela, who coincidentally married Barrett, and her daughter Liza.



The funniest part of the day came when we watched the Ariel Skiers performance.  It was amazing and captivating.  Apparently, Nell was so afraid of what they were doing she spent the entire 40 minute performance with her eyes squeezed tightly shut, hiding behind Dave's back.  I even tried candy to coax her out of her hiding spot, but nothing worked!  She is such a funny little thing.
 


These four have tamed down so much in the past 20 years, but not completely.  They put together this "rat-a-pult" to launch hungry rodents into the air.  It provided hours of entertainment for the men and kids alike.
 

 Watching the rat-a-pult:

It was such a fun weekend, we look forward to the next time.


5. Webber time!

I always enjoy having my birth mother, Wendy, and her family come to visit.  My children also love the attention and affection they get from their children. With Allyson married and Tommy on an LDS mission, we had Matthew, Claire and Charlotte with us this summer.  They were also here to celebrate Devin's birthday with us.


 

At Sundance with Wendy before the outdoor performance of Annie Get Your Gun.  Such a fun night!

 

6. Birthday Celebrations

My birthday comes towards the end of summer and this year Clara and Jonas started school so early, so I spent the main part of the day with Devin and Nell on a hike at Sundance to Stewart Falls.  We then spent the evening at Back to School Night.  After taking the children to a mexican restaurant for a less than pleasant experience (thanks to my youngest two, not the food!), we returned home for pie and ice cream.  It was pretty perfect.


  


Nell was carried the entire way.  Spoiled girl.
The end to a very perfect birthday.

 7. Random summer memories

We enjoyed a neighborhood s'mores night at our house with a showing of Star Wars. 


Our actively producing garden.  It has been so much fun picking vegetables, fruit and herbs from our backyard.  I'm not a great gardener but with a drip system, it has been successful.


I start my children young.  

 

We had a very sad experience with Jonas this summer.  After some allergy testing the doctor decided it was time to do a formal wheat challenge hoping that Jonas had outgrown his wheat allergy.  After about 1/4 of a piece of bread Jonas went into anaphylactic shock.  After 3 shots of epinephrine, he had to go to the ER.  We spent the day there and decided it would be years before even considering something like this again.  For now, we'll happily continue to cook dairy, egg, nuts, peanuts and WHEAT-free!


8. Last summer weekend!

We took a trip to Burley for our last weekend of the summer to enjoy time with family, skiing on the Snake River and of course the Cassia County Fair and Rodeo!

Playing around Grandma and Grandpa's yard.


Just a small peek at one of the sheds composing the old dairy farm where Devin grew up.


This is Devin's favorite place to be, the Snake River.  Skiing is his number one past time.  Too bad it only happens once or twice a year now.  Nell tried tubing with her cousin Capri and Clara GOT UP ON SKIS!!  I'm so proud of her for trying and doing so well.




I love this picture of Devin with two of his sisters caught in a funny conversation, with Jonas leading some important music or something.


Words can't always describe my experiences there. This cowboy jetskier redefined cross-culture.


The fair is always a feast for the senses. I mean, have you ever seen a potato chip stack like that?  I hadn't?  Or stood in line for 40 minutes for these delicious maple bars?  They tasted amazing.


   

Then there are the smells.  Our kids love looking at the 4H animals that have been auctioned.  But the smells that go along with the animals are intense.  Here's Clara checking out the pigs.


 Petting the cows...

And Jonas was able to pet a goat.  Oh, the fun!
 

This was such a fun way to say goodbye to summer.  Now school has begun and we are reluctantly getting back into the scheduled routine.  I'm so happy we had such a full and enjoyable summer.

5 comments:

  1. This post was so fun! Read every word and looked at every picture:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe it has been a whole year since you left us. Come back any time you like. If I had the space I would even offer you a bedroom to sleep in.

    Poor Jonas with the wheat thing.

    You do seem to have had a very good summer.

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this whole summer summary because it reminds me of that theme paper that your 5th grade teacher gives you for homework. "My Summer Vacation." Of course yours was a lot more fun with pictures and I give you an A+! You guys were busy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Jonas' "cheese" face. That is a Christmas card worthy picture for sure. What a fun summer. Nice wrap up too. Makes me think I should get caught up on my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking at your pictures makes us so homesick for the mountains and reminds us of the many fun things we have done with family over the years in those beautiful Rock Mountains.
    We miss you guys so much! You bring so much joy into our lives.
    Love, Grandpa & Grandma Morris

    ReplyDelete