On March 10, 2014, Nell turned 3 years old!
We pulled in around 10:00pm the night before Nell's birthday after an all day drive home from California. We knew the kids would all expect the traditional birthday string so we quickly got the kids in bed, wrapped presents and set up for the morning.
Nell woke up to the string attached to her door with small presents (a box of fruit snacks and candy were the request) along the string leading to her birthday presents.
Nell especially liked her new doll high chair that my friend Mayka helped refinish.
Jonas and Devin were both sick so they stayed home while Nell and I stayed busy. After buying some much needed groceries, we went to lunch at Chick-fil-A with Nell's best friend Greta where they enjoyed the indoor play area. Those two girls are so cute together and just love playing. Greta gave Nell this Tangled princess dress for her birthday - I think it was her favorite present!
After an afternoon spent playing with Greta, we headed home to make her birthday cake together. Nell is a big chocolate fan, so we tried a new chocolate cake recipe. As you can see, Nell is just like her sister Clara and loves helping in the kitchen.
While letting the cake cool, we went to dinner. Nell chose In-N-Out. Healthy day, huh? We had a fun dinner. Nell and Jonas sat at their own table chatting away...
Nell even ate half of an animal style cheeseburger!! Although she had been too busy playing at lunch to eat much.
Opening presents came next. Nell loved her new dress up shoes. Now we have more than one pair so hopefully this means fewer arguments.
Lastly came the cake!
| Nell and her adoring sister, Clara. What beautiful sisters! |
While Nell and I were out during the day, Devin put together her toddler bed which she was thrilled about! Good night, Nell! I hope it was a great 3rd birthday.
Nell's personality is larger than life. Stubborn, compassionate, hilarious and sweet are all words that describe Nell. She has a special relationship with each of her siblings and is adored by them both. She and Jonas are hot and cold. They are either partners in crime or arguing over something. It is hard to keep them apart though, they love being together. She admires her older sister Clara and wants to do everything Clara does.
It is hard - if not impossible - to convince Nell to do something she doesn't want to do. For example, I tried to interview Nell for her birthday. I asked her the same questions I ask Jonas and Clara on their birthdays but she would only say "No" to every question. It went something like this:
Melinda: What is your favorite food?
Nell: NO!
Melinda: Who do you like playing with?
Nell: NO!
I gave up. I tried a few days later. Same outcome.
Her third birthday interview is one big NO!
This picture was taken the Sunday after she turned 3. We came home from church and I found her doing her very favorite past time, coloring or drawing. She loves anything artsy.
![]() |
| Nell asked me to do her hair like Greta's this day (translation: curly). We always want what we don't have. |
I am so grateful for my beautiful, sweet and spicy Nell. I love spending my days with her and would love for time to slow down, three already seems too old! I love you, Nell!

Can't believe she is three! Happy Birthday to that darling girl. And I had to laugh at your last post when I read about your lecture to Clara that she had better be ready to ride all the rides! :) We took Caroline and Madelyn on Tower of Terror when they were 6 and 4... ya, I kept wondering when our "worst parents in the world" award was going to be presented to us...
ReplyDeleteNell's birthday interview was perfect I love that, I actually look forward to your kids birthday interviews, I should really do it for my kids too then shouldn't I... but I don't man I'm lazy.
ReplyDelete