Our Family

Our Family

May 11, 2009

One Proud Mama!!


Two weeks ago, Clara informed me that she did not want to take dance classes anymore.  I was confused because she is always happy to go and happy when I pick her up.  When I asked her why, I was given two reasons.

1. Her tap shoes hurt.
2. She was nervous about the performance.

I knew exactly what to do about problem no. 1.  New tap shoes were purchased immediately.

Problem no. 2 was a different story.  She has always been fairly reserved in public settings, especially when she feels that others are looking at her.  As many of you know, she is silly and exuberant at home or places she feels comfortable, but the stage does not fall into that category.  She told me that she wanted to do gymnastics instead, because they don't have to do performances.  I laughed to myself and considered telling her that they did have to perform...but instead of doing so in a group, they do it alone.  I resisted, however, because I didn't want to keep her from ever trying gymnastics in the future.

So, this last week at the dress rehersal, Clara did great.  I kept my fingers crossed all week that the real deal would be just as successful.

And it was!!!  Clara did such a great job with both her tap and ballet numbers.  She even was the line leader in a choo-choo train line during the ballet number and her teacher commented afterwards on how well Clara did.

Clara has come so far this year with being willing to do things that make her "nervous".  I am so proud of her and her willingness to have new experiences.  She brings me so much happiness and I love her personality and loving nature.  Yesterday she gave me a purple heart eraser so I "can always remember how much she loves me".  I love her so much and I am amazed that at 4 years old, she is already a good example to me in so many areas.

Yesterday, when I asked her if she wanted to take dance classes again in the fall...the answer was "Yes"!


These are Clara's friends from dance, they are such fun girls!


Here is a picture of Clara with her very good friend, Leah, who is so great and sat through the whole recital with her family just to support Clara.  


Megan and Rijen also came to show Clara their support (Fiona was already buckled in the car). She was so excited to have them come for the weekend and I had a great time sitting next to Megan reminiscing about when we used to dance together.  


Afterwards, we went for ice cream at Brusters (YUM!!) where Clara ordered the dinosaur sundae and Jonas had blue italian ice.  He woke up Sunday morning and his mouth was still blue and I am left wondering what the inside of his stomach looks like... 


...and then home at the end of one long but successful day!!!!


9 comments:

  1. I dont know why your post brought me to tears..Maybe it was because your little girl looks EXACTLY like you and is so absolutely beautiful!! Or maybe it brought back painful memories of dancing at Sue Dini's, but it did bring a laugh thinking about running through the sprinkers in our dance shoes and getting completely REAMED by our parents afterwards. Or maybe its because I miss you so much!
    You are an amazing mommy, and its so fun to watch as your kids grow and develop their own personal talents.
    As for Blue Italian Ice? Well, it ranks up there along with that icing they put on those cakes at the grocery store. The cakes my kids always want on their Birthdays, the cake that always ends up staining their teeth and clothes.=)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok I'm fully having flash forwards when she is a teen and wants to wear makeup...... the pics are very darling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't beleive how far Clara has come since we moved hear a year ago! She looked so beautiful with her hair done and makeup on! We were so excited to see her dance, what a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH MY GOODNESS HOW CUTE IS THAT?! She looks so darling and how fun that she performed without being shy. She is so precious! Emeline misses her so much. (WE miss ALL of you...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. No way, look at that! It's the first time your blog has let me comment! I guess I'll have to make a habit of it now...
    (I didn't even change anything. Dang computers.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Clara looks so pretty, beautiful in fact. You guys better watch out in a few years. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe how grown up Clara looks! Oh my goodness, I wish I could have been there to see her. I know she did great and that you loved every minute of it. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats to Clara on such a successful night! She's a very sweet and talented girl. I think she has a pretty incredible Mama supporting her all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty, pretty, pretty girl! Congrats to Clara on being so brave!

    ReplyDelete