This conversation keeps running through my head & just won't leave. Thought I'd share in case you need either a good laugh or a bit of shock.
First, some history. We moved into #5 Alexandra House when we arrived in Harrogate. There was water damage in the kids room so Paul (caretaker/cleaner/handyman...who I see about daily) suggested we move to apartment #4, just across the hall. When we lived in #5 we were above #1, now we are above the vacant #2.
Okay, now for the story. Devin took the bus to work on Jonas' birthday so I could have the car. He got to the stop a little early and was there with another woman. She started talking to him and told him that she lives in #1 Alexandra house. She is here for 6 months and works with Devin. Her husband is an aspiring writer who is home during the day, they have no children. Then she proceeds to tell him that a very loud family lived above them for a week but have since moved out. She expressed how annoyed they were at the family and how loud they could be.
Devin stays silent.
She then tells him that Paul (previously mentioned) came down to talk to them about it. He explained that the family has a son with a disability, asthma and now get this...he may even be BLIND!!!
Devin then gives a little laugh. I am sure she thinks he is heartless but he is just amused that someone would actually describe Jonas that way. He then remains silent.
As he is telling me this, I am initially upset. Very upset.
First, that someone thinks we are that loud. We don't go stomping around in our boots and my kids don't even jump off the couches and run around all day. I am sure we make noise but I am offended at being talked about like that.
Second, I am upset that Paul thinks it is okay to talk about Jonas that way. I don't like him being pitied and his "disability" "asthma" and supposed "blindness" should have nothing to do with noise anyhow.
Third, BLIND?? Seriously??? He has seen us multiple times and it is obvious Jonas can see. Maybe he was well-meaning, but it didn't make me feel good. However by the time Devin got to the part of the story where Jonas was blind, I burst out laughing and couldn't stop.
The predicament? Now Devin has to work with this woman for 6 months and I am sure she is going to find out Devin has a son with spina bifida. Will she assume there was this crazy coincidence where two families just happened to have children with health problems? Or will she realize that she was actually talking to the father of that child?
Either way, I just can't get over the story. I am trapped somewhere between mortification and laughter.
Lol! Oh my gosh! I don't think it's funny,I'm laughing about how you told the story, crazy! I just signed up for skype, I'm so excited!! I need your skype name and we need to get a web cam, I'll call you tomorrow...Leah really misses Clara, she started crying on the way home from school...she keeps saying "I can't wait until I'm eight because that's when Clara comes home!"
ReplyDeleteI think that Paul was just using Jonas as an excuse to not have to deal with them.....because who wants to pick a fight with a little boy who doesn't know he's blind..... no wonder he's bumping into everything. If you ask me he got it from his mother who is known to walk into a wall or two...jk
ReplyDelete