Our Family

Our Family

March 14, 2010

What we've been up to...

The past 20 days or so have been internet-free as we have just moved in and are still waiting for our phone line and internet to be turned on. During that time, we have been busy. Here's an update:

1. We unpacked. Lots of boxes and even more paper. The kids have loved getting their toys and beds back. Jonas gets the most improved award. He was really struggling when we first arrived and is starting to get back to normal. Here's Jonas climbing a mountain of paper.


2. I successfully fit a US sized kitchen (food storage included) into a European kitchen. It only took me one entire day.

3. Clara has started to like school again. Wow, this was the biggest surprise for us. She was so excited to go to school at first and then things took a wrong turn. One morning, as I bent down to kiss her goodbye right before she walked into school she lost it and started to cry. It was heartbreaking and a very bad day - for both of us!! I'll spare you all the details but Devin & I have agonized over what to do. The children in Britain start school full time at 4 and by now are farther ahead than Clara was used to. She had done great in school back in Maryland but this was entirely different and new. We considered taking her out of her class and move her to England's version of kindergarten - "reception" - but Clara didn't want to change. So after both a phone conversation and meeting with her teacher, things seem to have improved. She is a brave and strong girl and I am so proud of her. I am also so grateful to her kindergarten teacher back in Maryland - Mrs. Spence - whose many emails helped me know what to do. She's amazing!! Here's Clara with the squirrel mask she made at school. I made the mistake of calling it a cat mask and was quickly corrected.


4. A new game was discovered. One I do not love. But they do. Don't ask me why - it looks completely uncomfortable but if Clara mentions carrying Jonas, he gets very excited. So, they parade around the room in this manner and both get a kick out of it. And yes, my kids wear their Christmas pj's all year long...just one more way to keep the spirit of Christmas alive.


5. Clara got her 2nd haircut. Ever. Her first was when she was 4 1/2, now she's 5 1/2. If she can keep this pattern up, she'll save lots of money on hair in the future - wouldn't you women agree? Since I refuse to cut hair after a nasty encounter with a hair splinter (thanks to Devin's head) he volunteered to do the job for Clara. I think he did a really fantastic job.


**Oh, and if you don't believe in hair splinters - google it. No laughing matter.

6. The medical fun has begun! Jonas has 2 new therapists so far. Fran, his "physio therapist" has him in hydro-therapy every Wednesday morning. Then there is Jill who works on his speech. Come to find out sign language is not universal. Do I try to reteach him the UK version so he can communicate here? Or stick with what he knows? It was hard enough to teach him the signs in the first place.... We also attend a "portage" play group with other special needs children once a week. And to top it all off we finally got in to see a pediatrician (they are specialized here so most children don't see one). He sat down and asked me to start at the beginning and tell him everything so 1 1/2 hours later we were finally leaving his office. I'm sure he regretted asking us of all people such an open ended question - but really, that was the condensed version. He will be making our referrals to specialists so more appointments to come.

7. I stumbled across my new favorite British clothing store - White Stuff. Dangerous. Too expensive but so cute. I am going to have to make sure I don't go in there very often!!

8. Jonas is doing great in his walker. Jonas is back to work and I thought I'd post a video showcasing how well he is doing. He doesn't love it but is willing to work hard. I am proud of him! We are now working on increasing his endurance and speed...watch out!! The quality isn't great and my voice in the background is even worse. Maybe I should work on that. :)

7 comments:

  1. Jonas is walking so well! Congratulations, I know it's been a long road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw your recent post on babycenter. Love your blog, the pictures are gorgeous. Your kiddos are pretty cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.... Jonas I'm so impressed I feel like I haven't seen him in like forever... Oh wait I guess I haven't, but man he is walking good, last time I saw him walking in his walker you would be behind him and help him out, I think he is walking fast. It really warms my heart to see him walk so well, he rocks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its good to hear an update. We have been thinking of you guys and all the adjustments. The pictures of England look cool. Enjoy it while you are over there, because it will probably go fast.

    Send us all your new contact info when you get it all.

    Dave/Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to read your blog!!! I'm glad Clara is adjusting to school and happy (Leah misses her so much!) Jonas you rock! It must be great to finally be in your home getting settled in! Let us know when your up and running so we can skype,Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. we sure love and miss you all! Thank you so much for taking the time to post the blogs. We look forward to reading them. Jonas is doing so good!Clara is beautiful! Angel and I especially love the picture of Jonas. We sure love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Jonas is flying in his walker. That is so impressive. I'm glad Clara is doing better too. I'm excited to talk to you again someday. . . . .

    ReplyDelete