Our Family

Our Family

March 10, 2012

Happy 1st Birthday, Nell!

There are typically about three clues around our house that it is someone's birthday.

First? The string.

Nell woke up to a very excited brother and sister who helped her move along her string to find her new tights, bath toys and of course $1.


To be fair, Nell needed very little help along the string and managed to get her presents off by herself. At the end of the string was a balloon, presents and a new cereal.

Before starting on breakfast we got an early morning phone call from Grandma Morris so we skyped for a few minutes before she went to bed. Everyone loved it.


We enjoyed breakfast all together before getting ready for a morning at Valley Gardens Park. While waiting for everyone to be ready, Jonas and Nell enjoyed some kisses.



It was a sunny and glorious day! We enjoyed a walk to the park where now Devin took a turn stealing kisses from Nell.


They went on the circular swing (I'm sure there is a better name for this).





Clara pushed her on the big girl swing. Nell loved it.


In baby speak, Nell is saying "what's up" in this next picture...can't you tell?


And of course a trip to the park wouldn't be complete without a few trips down the slide.


I thought it was so cute of Clara to be so thoughtful and care more about doing things with Nell than playing on the things she prefers.


On the way out of the park - which is showing the perfect signs of Spring - we saw this cluster of flowers that seemed to be welcoming Nell in for a few pictures. She was very unsure at first but soon looked like a natural.



This one made me laugh because it was the first time Nell has been able to touch her leg in a long time and it seemed to fascinate her. She has a horrible habit of removing all socks so I have her in tights every day since it is so cold. Today was actually nice enough to ditch the tights and I think she appreciated it!


After the park we headed home via a fun little food shop and grabbed some pastries.


Second sign of a birthday? Cake.


Nell took a nap while we decorated the cakes and prepared for our friends, the DeGiulios to come over for dinner.

Third? Sick.

Nell woke up from her nap red, hot and grumpy. It seems like the thing to do around our house - be sick on your birthday. She didn't want to move and was certainly in no mood to celebrate. I was finishing up dinner so Clara held her. Nell clung to her and seemed to be miserable. I called in the acetaminophen! Thankfully after a few minutes she was perkier and able to enjoy dinner.

After dinner she played happily with the kids until we opened presents.


She was a quick study at tearing the paper. In no time she had the presents open and really enjoyed playing with everything.


If Nell could talk she would readily tell you what her favorite present was…a box of kleenex from Elizabeth.


Here's how the next 10 minutes were spent:
Take one tissue out.
Tear in half.
Throw each half to the side.
Repeat until box is empty.
Clara and Emeline step in to tear them into small confetti pieces and shower Nell with them.

Now for eating the cake. I was so eager for her to devour her treat. After all, she loves solid food and eats like crazy. She surprised me. Rather than make a mess, she meticulously ate each little dab of frosting off the top.



Impatient, I cut it open for her. She ate some cake but then was done. This? This is as messy as it got.


Something about this expression told me she was ready for a bath, goodnight cuddle and bed...would you agree?


I can't believe a year has passed since I had Nell and brought her home from the hospital. The day before her birthday, I asked Clara if she remembered Nell's birth and with a very thoughtful smile, Clara informed me that she would always remember that day. In fact, "I will remember that day forever" was her answer. I feel the same way.

I had the opportunity/curse to go on a run the morning of her birthday before she was up in preparation for an upcoming race. As I ran around in the pitch black I easily thought back to a year ago when I was in the hospital about to have Nell. That experience will always be one that I cherish and the past year is no different.

Nell is such an adaptable baby. After all, she did spend her 5th and 6th month pretty much in the hospital every day. Then again, she is not one to be ignored or forgotten. She makes sure you know she is there.

Here are some of my favorite things about Nell:
• She does not like strangers looking at her. It makes me laugh. If anyone gives her attention, she buries her head in my shoulder until she thinks they are no longer looking. Then she'll sneak a peak. And I thought Clara was a bashful baby…
• She is a social laugher. If anyone around her is laughing, she joins in. Again, it makes me laugh.
• She adores Clara and Jonas. She has a unique and distinct connection with each one of them. Clara is her second mother and she loves her for it. Jonas is her partner in crime. They laugh together and play together - often getting into stuff.
• She is not quite walking yet…on her own. But remember how we have a walker in the house? She loves it. Her favorite way to use it is quite unconventional. While Jonas is walking along, Nell holds on to the back and walks behind him on her knees. It looks like she is sure to fall on her face when he jerks it forward with his steps but she holds on and will not let go and so far has not fallen once. It is a site to see.
• She loves to eat. After all, consider her parents. I enjoy sharing my food with her and I love my little companion I have during the day. We eat breakfast and lunch alone together daily and I absolutely love this time we have together.
• She dances and shakes her body whenever she hears music.
• She claps not only her hands, but her feet as well. She can thank her dad for teaching her this cool party trick.
• She is good to me when it comes to schedules. There was very little real structure and schedule in the past year between hospital stays and traveling. When we are home, school drop off and pick up have not always been convenient, but she makes the most of it. She remains happy and easy going in this department.
• She has a temper. The time is quickly coming that I won't find this so endearing but for now it is so funny. When something doesn't go the way she wants (be it her getting her way or a toy not doing what she wants it to do) she gets very upset and can already manage a decent tantrum. Twelve months, really???
• She is always holding on to something. Sometimes it is a small toy she's found around the house. Sometimes it is a water bottle or lunch box on our way to school. Sometimes it is the edge of her stroller or car seat, as pictured here.


No matter where we are, she will find something to hold on to. My favorite is when I get Jonas from school each day. I have her in the baby carrier strapped to me so that I have two hands to get him with. She insists on carrying his lunch box no matter how heavy it is - and she never drops it. I wish I could see what it looks like from the front but I just laugh at what we must look like. After all, everyone needs to pull their own weight around here, right?
• She is part cat (and she doesn't get it from me, I'm allergic after all). Without being aware of her, she will crawl right up to your legs and rub her head around your legs and feet when you are working in the kitchen. I have to be so careful not to step on her because she likes to position herself right under or behind us. Devin and I have started referring to her as our cat.

I couldn't be happier with my little Nell. I loved her birthday and the opportunity for our whole family to celebrate her and how much we love having her in our family. I love you, Nell! And so does the rest of the family!

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos of Nell- I can't hardly pick a favorite. I love how she resembles your others, but also has her own look. (Of course this is coming from the mom who hears "he looks exactly like his sister!" every day). I remember the day well that Nell was born and since we haven't gotten to see her that often, it was fun to read more about her personality. I would love to see a picture of her and Jonas on his walker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where can I get a cute pair of red shoes? Publish and send to my local Costco!

    Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete