Her plan was to see a show in London. We had a great weekend at the beginning of February watching her cute children and both sets of kids have been begging ever since for us to leave so that they could have another weekend together. What started out as a gift for Devin turned into an even better gift for Jonas and Clara - they were thrilled when we finally committed to going away last weekend.
Since I was not ready to leave Nell we decided against the London/Show weekend and decided to explore the Lake District which we had yet to see much of.
We headed up Friday and while it was super rainy and cloudy, it was still beautiful. I had to take a picture of this particular road sign, many town names make me laugh - like Blubberhouses, for example - and this sign was no exception. How could you not giggle everyday if you lived in either Wigglesworth or Giggleswick? I would.
We arrived at Keswick without a place to stay and figured we'd find a B&B once we got there. Funny how now that we have 3 children, traveling with one seems so easy and we felt this sense of spontaneity we don't typically travel with.
We found a street lined with 'vacant' guest houses and chose what looked like a good one. After ringing the bell, a gentleman answered and informed us that we could not stay there because we were only staying one night. Fine. We moved on. After knocking at perhaps 10 houses we were becoming frustrated - especially because we were holding Nell and it was raining. Excuses were either our length of stay or that they did not welcome children. By now we wandered into a cottage rental office and explained our situation. They directed us to the visitors center in town center. Sitting across from the helpful lady made me realize that I should have just reserved online before we left and saved the small fee we were going to have to pay her. So much for spontaneity. In any case, we had a place reserved and headed over to check in.
I can't say the gentleman seemed happy to see us - but I don't know why since he knew we had a baby. It was like he had never heard an American accent before from the way he was looking at me. Either that or I had recently grown an extra head. It was an awkward encounter to say the least. Then came the room. Wow! Not what I would have picked for our nice weekend away but I tried not to complain too much at this point. Here's Devin trying to make the most of it and get me to laugh...it worked.
After a short visit to the pencil museum - where the first pencil was made we got tired of being rained on and decided to take the 10 mile scenic drive around Keswick lake. Let me just say that I now know why there are not more pencil museums in the world - they are just not that great. Most of you probably could have told me this without even seeing it, but I thought it could have potential.
Thankfully the 10 mile drive did not disappoint.
We couldn't see as much as we would have liked but it still managed to be beautiful - plus Nell got a late afternoon nap which we knew would be necessary for a pleasant dinner experience. Here is a church I thought was quaint at the top of the mountain in a little village.
After the drive, a blazing brick oven enticed us to eat at a pizza restaurant and it did not disappoint. It was so amazing being able to walk in and not need to figure out what Jonas could eat. The only negative was when I accidentally gave Nell a bite of my pizza that had a spicy part to it and she was very upset about this. I think she took it personally.
After a stop at a grocery store we went back to the "house". Thankfully we had stopped at our new favorite bakery in Harrogate before leaving town so we had some delicious pastries to sweeten the deal.
The next morning we were up bright and early - thanks Nell - so we didn't have to waste any daylight. Breakfast was served from 8:30 - 9:00am. Sharp. I am pretty sure we were the first people to ever decline both tea and coffee. Another awkward encounter with the owner. Thankfully Nell was the icebreaker and after serving our breakfast he and his wife came in to the dining room and chatted with us and the one other guest there (who is there at least once a month). I think this was the B&B experience we were hoping for - quirky and unique. They were all impressed with the amount of food Nell was eating - so after showing off that trick - we checked out and got in the car.
First we drove on a shorter scenic route.
At the end of the scenic drive was a dead end into someone's farm. We turned around to head back but not before I snapped a few pictures of the area. I can't imagine what it would be like to live here. Beautiful but isolated.
The day was so clear and the lake looked like glass. I could see it in Devin's eyes...the strong desire to get on a ski behind a boat. After all, what else is smooth water good for?
Next we drove to Grasmere where we wandered around the little village.
And took some cute pictures of Nell who was happy to be out of her car seat.
Of course this sign was something I couldn't pass up.
After a visit to the gingerbread bakery, we saw Wordsworth's grave and then wandered the streets and looked in some shops. The sun was out and it was a really nice morning.
We then drove on to Lake Windermere where we visited the Beatrix Potter museum. Here is part of Mr. McGregor's recreated garden.
Beatrix Potter had lived in the area so it was fun to learn more about her - I remember really enjoying her books as a child. By now it was time to get some lunch and after a little walk, we got in the car and headed home. It had been a very relaxing get away and it was fun to see a different part of England.
I missed Clara and Jonas - although I knew they were in terrific hands. Elizabeth being a nurse doesn't hurt either. :) We walked in the door and while Jonas and Clara gave Nell a big hug and kiss - we got nothing. Off they went to continue playing. Oh well! Better that than have them cry while we are gone but it would be nice to feel missed - even just a little.
We are so thankful to Keyton and Elizabeth for taking such great care of them. Clara and Jonas LOVED their weekend and so did we.
Wow, I feel like I just had a 5 minute vacation in the lake district by just looking at those gorgeous pictures! The lakes are beautiful, I love that bright red door & Sarah Nelson's Gingerbread? I can't decide if she is a stern headmistress type or a sweet granny. Then there is Devin posing, Church in the mist, beautiful Nell....Perfect. I only wonder....why no photos of pencils?
ReplyDeletewhile going to bed last night all I could think of was Megan saying... "no photos of pencils" I seriously thought Sarah Nelson was a man in the picture.. I'm glad you two had a little vaca,
ReplyDeleteMelinda, you are so funny. I am SO glad you got a weekend getaway. It sounds fun and beautiful.
ReplyDelete