Our Family

Our Family

February 8, 2013

Adventurous Napping

Nell has been acting a bit more like a two year old for a few months now...but has really kicked it into high gear the past few weeks.  With Devin traveling out of town for a couple of weeks, it has been especially tiring.

The other night she was resisting bed time and managed to fling one leg over the crib.  She sat, straddling the crib for a few minutes, not quite sure what to do.

Fast forward to yesterday.  She was exhausted but putting up quite the fuss about taking a nap.  I put her down and walked out.  I heard her crying for a while.  I told myself I would finish putting dishes away and then go try and help her calm down.  Right as I finished my things, she stopped crying.  Perfect I thought!

In a little bit, Clara & Jonas came home from school.  They were playing outside in a rare moment of sunshine & moderately decent temperatures.  As I came in to check on her, I heard her crying.  I went up and opened the door quickly, whacking her in the head with it.  I was shocked.  Why was she not in her crib?

It took one second to recognize the carpet print on her face.  And see the imprint of her body on the carpet next to the crib.  Sure enough she must have climbed out (that's what I tell myself hoping she didn't "fall" out) and ended up falling asleep on the floor.

The curious thing is that she can easily open her bedroom door, and does so frequently.  Why she didn't come out on her own is a mystery to me.

Hopefully she'll be happy to stay in her crib for a while longer!  I'm not ready for this transition, even if she thinks she is.

Here she is moments after waking up on the floor, not looking particularly happy.


Then again, she has had many more adventurous naps than that in her short lifetime.  Here are some pictures to illustrate.

Sharing the hospital bed with Jonas when she was 5 months old.
Makeshift bed while traveling in Barcelona.  We had to be creative.
Frequent naps were taken in the bottom of the stroller.

Another makeshift bed in Venice.
Ah, this is probably what she was hoping for.  Napping on the beach in Portugal. Probably her best nap ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment