For me, September and change seem to go hand in hand. I have always loved summer and each year I have a hard time saying hello to fall. This year was especially hard since summer was so short and not really that warm. However, with Clara dreading the start of school, I had to fake it. I would have to act all excited about her being a Year 2 and how much fun it would be even though inside I was so sad to say goodbye to our lovely, relaxed summer schedule.
I think it sort of rubbed off...here she is on her first day looking happy and cute as ever. Too bad that due to crazy traffic she was late for school on her first day even though I left 30 minutes before it started. I felt like a horrible mother, seriously, who is late on the first day?

Thankfully these traditional school bus cookies helped cheer me up along with the rest of the family. (But can someone tell me why on her 6th birthday the ability to smile normally vanished?)
Jonas also loved his version of these cookies, if you couldn't tell.

He'll start school next week and honestly I am getting sad but Clara is worried that I will be sad and lonely for the two hours I have to myself each day...I'll keep the truth to myself!
Then last night we had more change...Clara's very first tooth came out!! She pulled it out herself and was so excited. She bit into an apple at school forgetting that she had a loose tooth which then caused it to be even more "wobbly", as her teacher put it. Before bed we had this fun conversation...(but first you must know that the money she refers to are coins Devin has brought home from different trips around the world and probably amount to about $1...but she doesn't really get that):

Clara: I kind of hope the tooth fairy brings me a present instead of money.
Me: Oh, really?
Clara: Yes, I already have lots of money and I don't want to be rich!
Me: hmmm...well, we'll just have to see what the tooth fairy brings, won't we?
**The next morning when 2 pounds were found under her pillow she was ecstatic and came running into my room to show me...so apparently the money was just fine! Phew!
LASTLY, we have one more bit of change going on around here. Well, really the change won't take place until March 7th (give or take two weeks). Yes, we are expecting a baby!! I am now 14 weeks along and chose my birthday to tell Clara & Jonas. At the time, I was 12 weeks and thought it would be a really fun birthday surprise.
Here is her reaction in a series of pictures:
processing information...
shock...
acceptance...
happiness...
Her first question for me? "How do you know?" I told her I just did since I am a mom and moms know those kinds of things. After more discussion the phone rang and I ran out of the room to answer it. Here's the conversation she had with Devin while I was gone:
Clara: So, do you believe her?
Devin: Of course!
Clara: I think she is just making it up to make us happy.
Devin: Believe me, she wouldn't make this up. You should believe her, it's true.
Clara: Okay.
She now gives me lots of hugs so that the baby gets hugs from her, so I think she is actually starting to believe me. But I didn't know I was so untrustworthy in her eyes!
As for being pregnant...Devin and I are really excited and REALLY nervous. I have been on a mega dose of folic acid forever and we have had one ultrasound and things looked good but it really is too early to tell much. My next ultrasound is in about 2 weeks so we should be able to see more then. I am probably most nervous for how I will juggle everything with therapy, appointments and now a new baby, but we have thought and prayed a lot about this and feel it will be a great thing for our family.
Jonas is also excited. Whenever I say baby, he repeats me and points to my tummy. Then he says his favorite words as of late..."more" and then "two" in a really cute voice. No, just one I correct him. Thankfully I have an ultrasound to back me up!!!
He is such a cute boy and I know that this baby is lucky to have Clara & Jonas as siblings!
Congrats you guys! I love your little family (odd, seeing how I've never met the littlest ones), and I'm so happy for one more Osterhout! How are you feeling?
ReplyDeleteYay!!! I am so happy for you guys! I love Clara's reaction, too. So funny!! Good luck with everything Melinda, keep the updates coming!!!
ReplyDeleteYay!!!! Congrats Devin and Melinda! I am very excited for you guys, and hope everything goes well! Thanks for updating your blog so regularly, it's so fun to keep up with you and see how your lives in England are!
ReplyDeleteLOVE YOU!!!
-Amanda
Congratulations! That is wonderful news!
ReplyDeleteCongrats! I love all the exciting changes life can bring.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! I was so excited when your mom told me! It's too bad we don't live closer because our kids are scheduled 3 days apart. Hope everything goes well!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh!!!! I wanted to cry when I read your blog!!! You and Devin are such wonderful parents, we wish you guys the best!!!
ReplyDeleteSo fun to have a British baby! I hope you keep the pictures of Clara's reaction because that is hysterical. What a great reaction and I'm impressed you had the presence of mind to have a camera handy. I'll be praying everything will be A-OK with the little one. You'll be able to balance everything- I never thought I'd be able to handle 3 under 4, plus another one but it is amazing how you are blessed and qualified when you make good decisions.
ReplyDeleteYou are so funny... your like the planner queen, I bet you can juggle all this so good the pop up circus at Arundel Mall will be knocking at your door... too bad your band from going to those your dream to become a professional juggler have probably just been dashed to pieces... but no seriously... We are all tickled pink, and I'm not just saying pink because I want you to have a girl so that she can marry one of my boys....!!! well maybe I am.. man we miss you guys
ReplyDeleteOh and good job on Jonas' cookie... looks good, love that kid... Oh and tell Clara that Rhys lost his first tooth the day before school started.... so now they both look like pirates... well maybe just Rhys when he has to wear his eye patch.
ReplyDeleteSo excited for you!!
ReplyDeleteMelinda,
ReplyDeleteWe are so excited for you! We hope all goes well and if anyone can do it...you can! Love you!