Our Family

Our Family

September 14, 2010

Jonas Started School!

Today was Jonas' first official day of school. I don't need to go into a detailed account of my thought process but for two nights now I have not been able to fall asleep due to this transition. I am completely caught off guard by my emotions since I assumed I'd be happy to have some time to myself each morning. I am hoping that this comes, but until then, I'm an emotional mess (Devin blames pregnancy hormones...rude!). The look on his face pretty much sums up my feelings right now.


I have been forced by circumstances to be so careful with Jonas for 3 1/2 years now. While I have always tried to not be overly protective, necessity has caused me to be constantly aware of what he is doing. I also feel that while all parents know their children best, Jonas is especially hard for me to explain in a "nutshell" to his new teachers. How do I lump everything they need to know in our few days together? I am overwhelmed by the thought. I also have to turn over all responsibility to someone else for a few hours and I feel strange doing it. Part of me feels very guilty asking this of someone. The other part of me has a hard time giving up the control. I know I sound crazy - I recognize this! But it is so much harder than I expected!

Until his aid and teachers feel comfortable, I will be attending with him. This is probably a really good thing for all of us. I do really like the school and the staff so I know I need to calm down. I'll let you know how it goes when I actually have to walk out the door and leave him there for the first time. Or maybe I won't - I may be too embarrassed.

In any case - he looks dang cute in his uniform. What a handsome boy I have! I am so lucky and happy to be his "mum". I love this boy and he knows it!




6 comments:

  1. It's hard for moms to make this transition anyway. I can only imagine how hard it would be to trust someone else to care for my child when they have special needs. It's good that you are giving them training first. Mom knows best!=)
    They do look so cute in their uniforms. Our uniforms are not as cute but I do like having them wear uniforms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl I will totally be the same way come March when Brenden starts! I'm a control freak to the enth degree so it will be hhhaaarrrdd for me to turn him over to someone else!! Hope things go well for you and him!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jonas is too cute!!! I know I don't know exactly how your feeling but I don't like giving up the control of my girls either!! I hope everything goes well for him on his first day!! Love you Jonas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cutest kids ever! Especially in those uniforms!! I can totally sympathize with you and your feelings about Jonas and school. My Grey is only 19 months, but the thought of one day taking him and LEAVING him at school makes me sweat and break out in hives. Not sure I'll be able to do it. Luckily for me, there are great "mums" like you who will lead the way and show me how to gracefully give up the control...if only for a few hours. Lots of prayers for you guys, I know that both of you will do great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow I forgot all about the uniform aspect.... he looks dang cute. Clara is looking older and older all the time, I can't handle it. Good luck... to all of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awe, cute! Jarom's nursery school doesn't have uniforms- Jonas looks too cute! Let me know when you stop going with him- we can go to Betty's to distract you. He'll do great! (And so will you!)

    ReplyDelete