I often tease Devin because I feel that he likes to come up with what I like to call "theories". The following story is an example of one of these ideas or theories.
You see, Jonas has this unique self-soothing behavior that helps him fall asleep. But, it also helps the hair on the back of his head to rub off. He likes to rub his head back and forth over and over in is bed until he is asleep - and this is repeated as he wakes up in the morning. So, our handsome little boy still has a bald spot.
Naturally, there are better things to worry about...and we do. But, it doesn't mean that we don't still wonder if there is anything we could do to help his poor hair. In fact, I spent way too much money on a nice, soft sheet at Pottery Barn Kids in hopes that the softness would be more gentle on his hair. Alas, it did not work. (I guess I have my own theories too...)
Then Devin had the grand idea of having Jonas sleep in a do-rag. I put off the idea for a while but this weekend we were shopping and I saw a package of them. I threw them in the cart and Devin was so pleased to see them.
Saturday night, we put one on Jonas. Here was the result...

And here he is trying to intimidate you...
The craziest part is that he wanted it on. I thought he'd hate it - especially because it is soooo tight. He kept it on when we put him in bed but it was off by morning (and probably much much sooner). Then he wanted it again right after church and Clara added her hair clips to it.

Now a problem is forming - I am just not okay with him wearing this out. So, last night we put him in bed without it so that we wouldn't have any fits in the morning while I was trying to rush him off to school. Too bad for me, he has a good memory and right before leaving for school, he pointed to his head and said "ha" (Jonas for hat). I knew exactly what he wanted but played dumb. I got him his cute gray and blue stripped hat and hoped to appease him. Nope. He took it right off and in a very frustrated tone said "ha" again pointing to his room.
I managed to get him out the door without the do-rag and without a major fit but I don't know if I'll be so lucky in the future. Now the question - do I let him wear it at night and risk tantrums each morning over the thing? Or do I get rid of it now before it becomes an obsession? OR do I forget it and just let him wear it since I know it would make just about anyone laugh? Thoughts?
Oh my gosh, I can't stop laughing. Seriously, Jonas in a do-rag. I LOVE it. Made my night. Let him wear it to school so that his teachers can know REAL intimidation. :) This is hilarious!
ReplyDelete(Let him wear it to school, then Clara will be wearing hers to school, then you'll just be known as the freakish American. It will be AWESOME.)
so funny! tell him it is a night cap and can only be worn in bed. tell him his other hat is a day time hat. if this is too complex for him to go for then get rid of it or just let him wear it until he tires of it. he may get so many laughs though that he'll want to wear it forever and be known as the little do rag boy.=)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSorry there were too many spelling grammatical errors to let that one go but really... I love the pictures, is Devin going to teach him how to rap too? watch out Sir Mix A Lot... here comes the dynamic duo... Devonas!! Ok so seriously... I agree with Christy, I think if you coin it as his night cap and he can only wear it at night that might work... he will probably be totally ticked but I'm sure we will understand he just might not like it and maybe it will catch quickly.. you know like how some people only let there youngn's have their binkies at night... plus an added bonus would be if his hair actually grows... have you ever considered dreads? His habit of rubbing his head might just help his hair dreadify!
ReplyDeleteI have no ideas, sorry Melinda, but I am going to order some kids sized tank-tops. White ones. Extremely tight. Like Megan always says "if you going to go do-rag, go full-rag."
ReplyDeleteSeriously Melinda, that is one the best photos/posting ever. I mean the Clara and Jonas picture kills me. Just hilarious. If Noni is anything like Fiona, best of luck trying to get him off of the do-rag, he is probably already obsessed. If he has forgotten about it, well then I guess what I know I am bring up Thanksgiving time...
Talk to you later this week and we are extremely happy that Thanksgiving may just work out!
I have to agree with Liz! Keep that freakish American thing going. Connor's friends played "stupid American" at school. And Connor was not the American - he was the Chinese kid! If he'd only had a do-rag....such cute kids. Wish I could just walk around the corner and visit.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if this is really funnier in real life, because it's pretty dang funny on the blog as well! Laughing my head off! Good luck... I say let him wear it.
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with what Christy and Mayka suggested. The cap is for night time only. It might take a few tantrums, but if you stick to your guns he'll get it. (I think?!) Good luck. I think it's great that you found something that will soothe him. :) As always, great pics, love em!
ReplyDelete