Our Family

Our Family

September 30, 2010

My strangest question


Here it is, the strangest question I have ever been asked...to date...

Yesterday was Clara's first time in her new gymnastics class. For anyone who knows Clara, she gets nervous and quiet around people she doesn't know. Gymnastics class was no exception. I got to sit and watch her through the glass wall and while she acted reserved she was clearly enjoying herself. Being the new girl, she did her best to do what everyone else was doing and I think she did a really great job.

I had talked a little with her teacher before and even during the class (when parents were allowed to come into the gym) and then after class her teacher came up to me and asked me this question...

"Does she speak very much English?"

How do I respond to that? I was so confused at first. Did she mean the Queen's English? But that doesn't make any sense - it is the same language just a different accent. Then it dawned on me that she truly thought English was our second language.

I muttered out a "Yes, she speaks just fine"

To which the teacher said "Well that makes sense because she always did what I told her to do, so I knew she was understanding me okay"

As soon as she walked away, Devin and I looked at each other and busted up laughing. What language does she think we speak? Are our accents so different that it sounds like our first language is German or something?

I've had some strange questions before but this takes the cake for now.

PS - If you ask Clara what languages she speaks she will tell you English and Spanish. You know, she watches Dora afterall, so according to her, that makes her fluent in Spanish. But somehow I don't think this is what the teacher was referring to...

4 comments:

  1. Too Funny! Yeah, you found a place for Clara to take gymnastics! How does it compare to here? I bet she's loving it, you'll have to post some pictures! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hilarious! I would have been speechless too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I would of burst out laughing at the teacher... you know the kind where you can't control and then spit comes flying out of your mouth, projected right at the other person! well if not to the teacher then to totally to Devin.

    ReplyDelete