It has been one of those marathon days. The incision on Jonas' back is massively infected. Upon the advice of his neurosurgeon, we brought Jonas into the ER this morning. They have tapped his shunt to see if his CSF is infected. We don't think it is but it is a possibility. We will find out more about that tomorrow. For now he is in the hospital on major antibiotics and will probably need another surgery to clean out his wound. They will then need to leave it open until the infection is gone. Again, we'll know more about that tomorrow.
For now, what I know is that Jonas is incredibly sick and in lots of pain. Hard to watch and I'm sure even harder to go through. He is a strong, brave little boy. When they tapped his shunt today and stuck a needle in, he barely flinched and held still just like he was supposed to. When teams of doctors have come in to look at his incision he has laid there compliantly.
I have no idea what this hospital stay will entail but I will do my best to keep you informed. Devin is also posting some on Facebook. He is flying here tomorrow. It was an incredibly difficult decision that included many factors but ultimately we have two children here who each need a parent with them and so my mom will fly to England to be with Clara. Yes Clara, someday we promise to pay for your counseling after all you go through!!! Nell seems to be coming down with something and will no longer be welcomed here in the hospital so it will be nice to have help as I try to feed Nell - since I can't wean her overnight - and take are of Jonas.
We are grateful to our friends and family who do so much for us...from praying, to taking my sweet baby Nell for the night even though she's never before taken a bottle (good luck T's), to people willing to jump in an help with Clara. We love you more than we can say. I'll let you know more as I learn more. For now it is time for sleep as something tells me tomorrow won't feel much shorter. :)
Lots of love and prayers for you all. Wish we could help. I have had a rough couple of days with the kids and problems they have in school and such and feeling kind of down and things like this help me keep perspective. I really do hope he gets better soon and your family will all be together soon. Clara will likely love having her grandma come stay with her. It may end up one of her favorite memories.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry Melinda. SO sorry. Keep us updated!
ReplyDeleteWow! The one thing that comforted me most, I think we talked about this before, was knowing that temple prayers were being held for us. We just so happen to be going to the temple and your names will be submitted!
ReplyDeletePlease know that the Boltzes are praying for you all. Hang in there.
ReplyDeleteI wish there was something we could do to help!! Poor little guy, I can't imagine how hard this is on everyone. Thank heavens you are with his doctors. They seem to be fantastic. Keep us informed. Always in our prayers.
ReplyDeleteThis is Dave, not Nancy, but I wanted to add my support to everyone else's. Thank heavens you have parents that can go across the world to help you out. I can only imagine how difficult this is for the whole family, but just know that there are many people thinking of you guys, not just the ones that post comments. Probably on both sides of the veil...
ReplyDelete