Our Family

Our Family

September 8, 2011

Wait and See

We have been discharged from the hospital.

Jonas has been in the hospital a fair number of times and every single time I have been so happy to be discharged. I have loved the feeling and always felt ready to leave, practically skipping at times. This time is a bit different. Overall I am glad to be out but it does not come without some hesitation. The reason is that Jonas still has a fairly large hole in his back with other smaller ones forming. The wound is still draining and due to the location (lower back) it is incredibly susceptible to further infections...primarily from poop.

I am on constant alert to every time he poops (7 times yesterday for example) which makes me constantly stressed. He is on an oral antibiotic for 10 days but it will take weeks to months for this hole to formally heal. The doctor thinks that if things are going well we should be able to return to England in about 2-3 weeks but he agrees that the wound will not be healed yet.

I am not sure what we are going to do. It makes me nervous to leave his doctors when he is still at such a risk for another infection but I am also eager to return to Clara and get our lives back in order. We will do some serious thought and prayer as a family to determine what is best for us right now. Devin will head back sooner but he also wants to stay for a few days to make sure Jonas is well on the road to recovery.

That's our update. We are so grateful for the progress we have seen and are holding our breath that it continues.

For those who want we have taken some pictures of his back that you can view. WARNING: They are not for the faint of heart. But, if you are interested you can click on this link to see them. These were taken on Wednesday of the hole that formed but believe it or not, the rest of his back looks significantly better than it did on Friday and Saturday. This is the same back that Dr. Jallo, his neurosurgeon, said "looked good". It's all in the perspective, right?

For those who would rather see some more cheery pictures, these are the ones for you.

Jonas and Nell both found it hilarious that she was feeding him. It was the only way I could get him to eat so I held her hand and guided it to his mouth. They were both laughing. You've got to be creative when it comes to having fun in a hospital bed.


Being in the hospital sure is exhausting...just ask the three of us. Family nap time.


That's our update. We are hoping he recovers well and quickly and that we can avoid any further infections...prayers are still welcomed, we know they work!! We love you.

5 comments:

  1. Um....Wow. Yeah, the black hole is NOT pretty. I hope you have been able to keep it clean and get some extra rest since you aren't in the hospital anymore. As always, thinking about you tons. Hope you can have a good weekend- who knows what next week will bring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update. I can't tell you how many times I check your blog, hoping more info. is forthcoming. I'd be nervous to be discharged too. Good thing you're one of the most competent people I know. Still praying for you. Lots of love heading your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those are quite the holes! Did they open up completely on their own, or did they leave it open a little to allow needed draining? That's probably a stupid question...but I can't believe they could open up so big on their own. I hope they heal faster than expected. Good luck with the decisions you have left to make. We will keep praying for you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been thinking about you and the family quite a bit, the updates are valuable. I too would be reluctant to be discharged from the hospital, but I agree with Holly, you're one of the most competent ladies I know! Is there any chance you could have a wound home health care nurse come in to help you on occasion? I can imagine how stressed you are about all of it. Our family will continue to pray for all of you. Hang in there and please know our thoughts are with you. On a another note, Jonas and Nell are absolutely adorable! Thank goodness for sweet moments like these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you said "hole in his back" you weren't kidding. You are my hero Mindy! Everytime I hear from/about you I am in awe! I wish we were close and I could actually help.

    ReplyDelete